• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Extremely Ill Budgie- Sad Update Post #60

HawkEagle

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Paulina
I hope everything goes OK! Good luck, wishing the best for your bird
:chickenswinger:

deleteacc

Meeting neighbors
I called the vet this morning that the antibiotic did not have any effect on Shimsey's leg... Just right now the vet called back saying that sadly this confirms the kidney tumor and that since it is impossible to remove (at least in budgies), he might be able to hold on for a few more months. He said that at any time that it gets real bad, we can bring him in and put him to sleep. :sad10: I am just really let down now. Not by the vet, or Shimsey, but myself, because I couldn't take care of him well enough... Shimsey was my first bird, I will admit, but I always thought I could have done better. :sad10:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Don't be hard on your self. I don't know anything that can be done to prevent a tumor. I'm so sorry that you're going through this. Just enjoy all the time you have with him.

:sadhug2::sadhug2::sadhug2:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Please don't blame yourself. It's not your fault that Shimsey developed a tumor. Just enjoy the time you have with her. It could always be longer than the vet predicted.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Sending you a hug.
Please don't be so hard on yourself. Shimsey is fortunate to have you as his
Parront.
Enjoy him and give him lots of love.
Take care.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Tumors can't be avoided. Just like in people some get them and some don't. It is not your fault. Love your baby and give him the best life and most nourishing food you can right now. That is the best way to help him. Many, many hugs. It is always so hard when they are sick.

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Yes, you aren't doing anything wrong.
Pretty much EVERYONE gets fatty tumors as they get older. They are very common in people, dogs, ect. It's just that budgies are so small that these benign tumors can become really dangerous.

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
Yes, you aren't doing anything wrong.
Pretty much EVERYONE gets fatty tumors as they get older. They are very common in people, dogs, ect. It's just that budgies are so small that these benign tumors can become really dangerous.
why they can be dangerous?

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
why they can be dangerous?
Just because of their size - the tumors get much bigger in proportion to the animal in budgies. They can press on nerves, air sacs, internal organs and cause all kind of problems. Or ulcerate and bleed. In people and larger animals they aren't considered even worth treating most of the time.

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
Just because of their size - the tumors get much bigger in proportion to the animal in budgies. They can press on nerves, air sacs, internal organs and cause all kind of problems. Or ulcerate and bleed. In people and larger animals they aren't considered even worth treating most of the time.
How do you treat them in birds?

deleteacc

Meeting neighbors
You can't really treat them. The vet may sometimes give some meds to help make the tumor smaller, but it will get larger after a while. Even surgery doesn't always fix it. It is almost impossible to operate on a small bird (like a budgie), but still, the tumor will eventually grow back.

But thanks everyone for your hugs and kind words. :sadhug2:I didn't know that tumors were that common. Like, I knew tumors were common in budgies, but I always heard stories of peoples' budgies living almost 15 years!
Shimsey is still same as before. Hopefully he won't get a lot worse or anything. A few nights ago I added some wider, flatter perches according to the vet's advice. Shimsey sits on it sometimes, but Tweety hated it, so my mom suggested that we put in one of their old perches parallel to it. They seem to like that better.

I also gave them some sprouts yesterday and removed their normal food, but they seem to not like the long roots/tails on the seeds. If I rip the roots off, then Tweety eats the actual seed though! Sadly, Shimsey doesn't. I'm going to keep trying.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
I grow the sprouts till the tails are just peeking out. Sherbie doesn't eat the tails. He consumes them like normal seeds by eating the meat inside.

KatherinesBirds

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katherine
Don't try too hard to eliminate the seed. Just mash up the fruits and veggies and mix it in. Change the seed after an hour.
Most of all, get your bird to a vet soon. Good luck. Keep him warm.

KatherinesBirds

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katherine
You can't really treat them. The vet may sometimes give some meds to help make the tumor smaller, but it will get larger after a while. Even surgery doesn't always fix it. It is almost impossible to operate on a small bird (like a budgie), but still, the tumor will eventually grow back.

But thanks everyone for your hugs and kind words. :sadhug2:I didn't know that tumors were that common. Like, I knew tumors were common in budgies, but I always heard stories of peoples' budgies living almost 15 years!
Shimsey is still same as before. Hopefully he won't get a lot worse or anything. A few nights ago I added some wider, flatter perches according to the vet's advice. Shimsey sits on it sometimes, but Tweety hated it, so my mom suggested that we put in one of their old perches parallel to it. They seem to like that better.

I also gave them some sprouts yesterday and removed their normal food, but they seem to not like the long roots/tails on the seeds. If I rip the roots off, then Tweety eats the actual seed though! Sadly, Shimsey doesn't. I'm going to keep trying.
My painted conure who is now 24 years old had a big tumor. It went away on its own! This does not mean you should not have it checked out. All tumors are not fatal.

deleteacc

Meeting neighbors
I grow the sprouts till the tails are just peeking out. Sherbie doesn't eat the tails. He consumes them like normal seeds by eating the meat inside.
OK, that is good to know. So I'm guessing that I can let the sprouts soak over night and then feed them?

My painted conure who is now 24 years old had a big tumor. It went away on its own! This does not mean you should not have it checked out. All tumors are not fatal.
That's great! There was a time after Shimsey's leg got paralyzed and his toes were scrunched up that he could open his toes to properly place them on the perch. But it went away after a while. Maybe it was something similar to when your conure's tumor went away?

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Pretty much! I let them sit overnight and maybe part of an afternoon and they're ready. Make sure they get rinsed with cool water and pat dry with paper towel when you're ready to "harvest".

deleteacc

Meeting neighbors
Sadly, Shimsey passed away today somewhere between 1:00 PM and 4:00 PM. :sorrow: I was at school between these times so I have no idea exactly what happened. My mom and I just buried under a rose bush about 20 minutes ago. Tweety seems to have known what happened and is screaming his head off in our living room. I feel so bad for him, but my parents said that we could not get another budgie :(. I am also worried how he will cope and how he will do on his own without a friend to keep him company. We will be going to Vermont over the weekend (most likely) and I don't know if there is anyone that we can leave him with. I am just so stuck right now. :(