• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Constantly rubbing beak...?

BirdCatLady

Jogging around the block
Real Name
April
Today I've noticed that Brodie (14 y.o. CAG) has been constantly rubbing his beak. I know this is normal/typical after he's just eaten something, to try and clean it off, but it almost looks like his beak is itchy, since he'll rub it on his perch even if he hasn't eaten anything super recently.

I was wondering if this was normal/typical. Granted, I just rearranged furniture so I can spend the majority of my time in the living room now with Brodie (which has resulted in a much happier me, much happier hubby, and much happier Brodie!) so I might just be hyperalert right now for anything that I'm not used to seeing, even if it's not atypical.

('Cause you know, I channel my stress into worrying about Brodie. And with being a fairly new parront, that kinda sorta makes sense to me. :facepalm: :rolleyes:)

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I don't know about rubbing his beak excessively, but Im glad the new arrangement works!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
He's just honing the blade. 80% of a parrots time is spent grooming in all its forms.

How much is constantly?

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
My birds rub their beaks very often.

BirdCatLady

Jogging around the block
Real Name
April
I'm betting that I'm just noticing it more now that I'm actually spending more of the day where he and I can see each other.

I can't even give an example of what "constantly" means. In a 1 hour span from yesterday, I'd say probably rubbing his beak 1-2 times back and forth every 2-3 minutes. So really, at upper end of estimate, 60 times an hour. Ish.

Paranoid momma is paranoid? :mad::depressed:

scoobdoo63

Jogging around the block
Real Name
laurie
Stormy does it at least once or twice a day on the stone perch..( the only time he sits on it )

KimKim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
What perch does he do it on? And is his beak smooth or does it have edges/flakes? Maybe he's trying to smooth it out. My boy smoothed out his beak after I put in a sandy perch.

BirdCatLady

Jogging around the block
Real Name
April
Brodie does have a sandy perch that he uses sometimes. However, most of the time he's been rubbing it on his wooden perch by his food dish. (He knows the sandy perch is there, and in fact he is on it right now, but he doesn't seem to rub his beak a lot on it.)

His beak is smooth, I think? I mean, there's no flaking, no obvious places that would be irritating him. Here's a recent photo.

IMG_1563.JPG

Last edited: