• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dog food

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
There may be ingredients in dog food that is toxic to birds like avocado. Garlic is not good for birds either. Dog food is for dogs and bird food is for birds.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Birds are largely vegetarians, thus they dont do good with animal proteins in their diet (which dog food is) with a few exceptions.

Better protein snacks would be cooked legumes and beans, quinoa, and of course NUTS :)

If they are eating pellets, they don't really need extra protein. Too much protein is hard on the kidneys.

scoobdoo63

Jogging around the block
Real Name
laurie
He will not eat pellets, I wasted a lot of money on them. I can barely get him to eat fruits or veggies. He loves bread, wheat types, eggs, nuts are iffy.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Well dog food is definitely not the way to go. Animal proteins and fats are likely to give him heart disease. Have you tried Harrison's Bird Bread at all? That at least will have adequate nutrition.

scoobdoo63

Jogging around the block
Real Name
laurie
I get bread at Marshall clothing store. It's a multi grain organic the most grossest I have ever tasted! He loves it

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
He will not eat pellets, I wasted a lot of money on them. I can barely get him to eat fruits or veggies. He loves bread, wheat types, eggs, nuts are iffy.
Several places allow you to get small portions of pellets to try. Varietees here locally is one. My zon's eat 2 different kinds, Rowdybush and zupreem.

You can also reach out to the manufacturers and get samples directly from them. Explain you're trying to get your parrot on pellets.

What brands have you tried?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I get bread at Marshall clothing store. It's a multi grain organic the most grossest I have ever tasted! He loves it

How much/how often is he eating that? "People" bread should only be a treat. It fills them up without providing a ton of nutrition. The Harrison's bird bread is made up of pellets, which is why that's different.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Like said you can call the companies that make bird pellets and ask for samples. That way you can try different varieties. Also you can mix pellets with other bird foods. Have you tried goldenfeast blends? Birds are usually liking them. On Mysafebirdstore there is a custom made bird food called Bountiful Harvest that is very appetizing and healthy for birds. Some of them come with pellets and some without. Your bird will suffer from malnutrition if the diet is not improved. Bread is not a healthy food for birds, any kind.

Buy Exotic Bird Food Wholesale | Goldenfeast Direct

Healthy Bird Diet - over 75 Ingredients

Last edited:

scoobdoo63

Jogging around the block
Real Name
laurie
He doesn't get bread all the time..I freeze it so it last a long time and then I toast it. I have bought zupreem. My deal is if companies don't except money orders or checks then I'm out of luck. I don't do pay pal, pre loaded credit cards or regular credit cards.

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Dog food is too high in protein for birds, it won't hurt him if he nibbles a bit, but it's not something that should be fed to him. The exception would be certain items sold as dog treats that are vegetarian (for example, I've seen plain dried sweet potatoes sold as dog chews, which would be fine).
If he likes dog food and stale bread, then the closest bird food I can think of is the Caitec Oven Fresh Bites - they have a different consistency than most pellets, more like dry bread, and some birds like them better.

JonathanLe

Hit the Road
Real Name
JonathanLe
As I understand it, cat food is also better to hide, isn't it?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
As I understand it, cat food is also better to hide, isn't it?
Cat food should not be given to parrots. Cat food, especially quality cat food, is rich in meat; protein and fat. A bird needs 20% or less of protein; a good cat food should be around 35% to 50%.