• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I'm now Dobbys Dad

SallyQZ

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Loree
I haven't been on the Avenue much lately, so this is the first I'm hearing about Lurch and Dobby. I'm so sorry to hear about Lurch, Terry! :sad2: I really hope that he makes his way home soon.

Congrats on Dobby! You sound like you two are on the way to a harmonious and beautiful relationship (or as much as can be had with a pionus!). Hardy says "Hi" to Dobby, and is sending some positive thoughts out to Lurch to get himself home asap!
:hug8:

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Thanks, we sure miss Lurch in all his grumpiness. It's great we now have Dobby who is smaller but totally hyper, gentle, and flies like a acrobatic jet. Now every time someone gets home we text to make sure it's safe or open the door very carefully to make sure no more escapees.
He's into everything exploring and tasting or tossing things. He's like the energizer bunny and a hyper 5 year old. He hasn't directly bit anybody yet and loves to grab a finger and hang on so you can scratch him or just beak you which was hard to get used to after Lurch and his nippiness.
He steps up very nicely and mostly makes quiet bip bip noises, but can use his big boy voice when he wants something.
I certainly hope at this point Lurch has been found and is safe and whoever finds us and brings him home to a new friend and good example. Momazon and her Daughter did a awesome job raising Dobby and it shows in how well adjusted and quick to accept a new family he is.
It makes me really think about what Lurch must have went through after his old man owner left him.

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@SallyQZ I love your avatar :) and welcome back!

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Managed to get him to stand on our scale for a very short time, forgot to switch it to grams but converted the oz readout and he's apparently about 240 grams. Lurch was 250-260 and Nerd averaged 214 - 225 if he'd been eating all day.
I thought he was smaller then Lurch but I don't think 10 grams is a HUGE difference. Nerd of course was a runt, but a happy stubborn runt, his whole life so way smaller then either of these two.

Happynme

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carmen
I just now saw this. Im so happy dobby is doing great in your home. And i know youll be best buds very soon if not already. I still hope lurch finds his way home.....but im glad dobby found a soft spot to land.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Any update? :)

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Well he now will let me step him up and I put my thumb over his toes and he'll ride nicely to his house, provided he's sleepy and calm enough. He can whistle like a angel and loves it when we whistle back. He loves Nutrition berries and is starting to want to share our dinner. He loves to gently grab your finger to taste and beak and make me scratch him. He doesn't talk much but he has said DOBBY once and have heard him trying to say words he probably knows. Anything flat or barely enough room is a landing pad and roosting spot. He still loves to explore and try to get into anything that intrigues him.
Have to watch and herd him about to keep him outa everything and he's still uber hyper.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
OK, well just cleared off the camera and amazingly it's mostly Dobby pics, who'd have thunk it:cool:

Attachments

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Love the pic of Dobby eating out of the pot, talk about a stink eye :giggle:

JessieW

Sprinting down the street
That is wonderful news! Congrats on your new flock mate:hehe:

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Congratulations!

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Well, I had to work today:( so when I got home I decided to release the hound:D He has chosen my sister as his favorite but doesn't hate anybody here, she's just the most entertaining for him right now as she does all the food stuff and cool things for him to supervise.
Anyways I let him out after teasing him by saying you really sure you want out for a tiny bit then I opened the door and he waited for me to reach in so he could jump on my hand and run up to my shoulder. Usually he jumps onto his play top or flies to one of his many favorite spots but he stayed put so I got him his favorite healthy cracker outa the box and had one myself. He wanted onto the playstand to eat so I let him and came in here.
After a while I heard fluttering and he flew in and sat on the computer chair back with me. He preened and stretched and after a while I offered to scritch him. At first he was standoffish but after a while he grabbed a finger and allowed some scritches:D So I would surf a while, then offer a finger and he was liking it so that was cool and a good day:xflove:
He now chases sister around like a feathered dog so it's special when he decides I am worthy of his company and we'll keep working on it;)

Last edited:

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
He really sounds adorable Terry! ♥ And I'm sure that he loves you too, but only your sister a little bit more. :D
Who can blame him, he is a boy! :p

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Well, he IS very food motivated too, Momazon clued me in on that and she certainly should know and wasn't wrong. One night I was trying to put him to bed and showed him a NutriBerry as I dropped it into his dish. He practically pushed me outta the way and ran in to grab it allowing me to close the door on a good note.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Well managed to get him to hold still on the scale today, of course it was after he's been eating and snacking too but lil porker was 271 grams:wideyed: That makes him heavier then Lurch was but of course will need to try and get a weight in the morning before he munches all day. Highest I ever saw Lurch at was 260 and he just seemed to be a slightly physically bigger bird but who knows and I don't think I ever weighed him later after he'd munched all day.
Dobby certainly doesn't seem fat and he still flies like a jet without getting winded at all though I don't poke at him to see how much muscle/fat he has in his keel area. Lurch was pretty well rounded and strong, Nerd was surprisingly strong for always being able to feel his keel bone sharply at 214 grams average, the lil stubborn runt:xflove:

Lodah

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
LOVE happy stories! :heart: