• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Sun conure

*Summer*

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi, new to this thread as we are getting a new sun conure this week(yes i know how loud they are) growing up I had 2 cocktails and they lived to be almost 20 and I don't remember so many rules and regulations as we didn't change much about our lifestyle to accommodate them. Now we are bringing a conure into our home and i've been over whelmed with the list of "don't do's" which resulted me into google searching to see what i currently use that i have to get rid of cause its considered harmful. Is there somebody who can help me from general knowledge or experience as to what is 1000% unable to be used in a home with a conure? I wouldn't want to make her sick :(

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
TEFLON if overheated can cause death rapidly. Scented candles are bad for their respiratory system. Chocolate, caffeine avocados, and of course alcohol are all toxic.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
I should add Teflon can be found in things like space heaters, curling irons, and irons as well as nonstick cookware. Ceramic coated cookware and stainless steel are safe.

Self cleaning cycles on stoves can also give off toxic fumes.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
I forgot to say Welcome to the avenue.

*Summer*

Checking out the neighborhood
Thanks, guess my frebreeze is out(any replacement suggestions?) don't have house plants or smoke. I'm sure I got stuff with teflon(no heaters though), gonna have to check that out. And, bug spray is my best friend so that will be an adjustment...lol! And, I don't really use my self clean oven enough to miss it. What about things like scentsy? We are very excited to get our new addition and I want to make the house as safe as possible before her arrival :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome! Yes no febreeze anything really. Even very scented laundry detergent is bad if you cover your bird with blankets etc. You can boil orange s and cinnamon sticks for scent. Keeping the bird away safely of course. :)

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
TEFLON if overheated can cause death rapidly. Scented candles are bad for their respiratory system. Chocolate, caffeine avocados, and of course alcohol are all toxic.
Not just scented candles but any plug-ins to deodorize a room, any type of item that is in aerosol form no matter what it is for. Keep your fid (feathered kid) away from anything with caffeine (chocolates, coffee, Coke/Pepsi), avocado (deadly), onion (deadly) or alcohol (deadly eventually). Walk around your home and look at any mirrors or large windows which a bird might consider being a wide open area to fly to.

Ceiling fans are as dangerous as mirrors because birds don't realize that they can't be landed on.

Last edited:

janicedyh

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Even before I got Kiwi if I wanted the house to smell nice I would boil a little fresh apple, sugar and cinnamon ... the house would smell so yummy.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA and congratulations on your Sun conure.

Many household cleaners are not safe. I use vinegar and water and/or baking soda and a steamer for cleaning.

JessieW

Sprinting down the street
Welcome!! Congrats on your new conure!!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Welcome! Besides the household items - toys also need to be safe and appropriately sized for your bird. There is a thread on dangerous toys.