• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Advice for someone looking to rescue a U2?

Tanya

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
My mother brought up a point that I cannot, with any amount of dedication or effort, compensate for. Eventually, we will have neighbors upstairs, directly above my ceiling. If they complain about the bird, my landlord will have to tell me to either get rid of him or move out (alternatively, she could tell me to make him be quiet, but we all know that's not something you can do with a bird, let alone a cockatoo) - and I cannot afford to move out, and my family cannot afford to lose my income.

As sad as it is, I cannot take that risk and bring this bird home only to have him feel abandoned another time. It wouldn't be fair to him.
Since I cannot take that chance, the best I can do is hope for the best and potentially call up the store to ask how he's doing and if he's found a home yet.

I hope for the perfect home to find him. And I regret that I cannot provide that for him without the notable risk that it would be ripped away from him. If I can, I'll try to go down and donate some toys or treats for him to hopefully perk up his mood at least a little bit.

This kind of maturity at your age tells me that you may indeed someday be a good fit for a hyper-emotional (to the point of self destructive) and hormonal (to the point of dangerous) wild creature with a knif/pliers combo for a face and an ability to respond, remember and resent that will absolutely blow your mind.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

This kind of maturity at your age tells me that you may indeed someday be a good fit for a hyper-emotional (to the point of self destructive) and hormonal (to the point of dangerous) wild creature with a knif/pliers combo for a face and an ability to respond, remember and resent that will absolutely blow your mind.

@Nissili I have to agree. You have all the makings of a great cockatoo owner. Just not yet. I love your attitude. It's just not the time.

There will be others. The will always be others. :(

Loppy

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jen
I agree with @JLcribber. @Nissili, you have the makings of a wonderful 'Too owner. Just know that you can always visit him, and he will find a good home. He will, because he deserves one! You will one day have a 'Too! I have confidence in that!

Nissili

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dakota
@Nissili I have to agree. You have all the makings of a great cockatoo owner. Just not yet. I love your attitude. It's just not the time.

There will be others. The will always be others. :(
I agree with @JLcribber. @Nissili, you have the makings of a wonderful 'Too owner. Just know that you can always visit him, and he will find a good home. He will, because he deserves one! You will one day have a 'Too! I have confidence in that!
One of these days me and my family will get that house we'd so dearly love, and I'll begin my search for a 'too in need of a home, once I can absolutely keep them and ensure they won't be taken away or put in a circumstance they have to be given up through no fault of their own (but really, is it ever their fault? I think not) and when that day comes, I'll be sure to show them around the avenue. Who knows, maybe someone else here around that time will live nearby enough for us to set up some birdie playdates.

As for now and Dinero (the 'too I wanted to adopt but could not) does anyone with a 'too know any healthy treats they usually go for without hesitation/minimal hesitation? I know budgies and millet are a good match for a snack to get them to perk up and boost their energy for a little bit to get them on their feet, but I'm not sure if there's anything specific that would work for a U2. When in doubt, I'll go for nutriberries (probably the senior ones, the ones at least at my store labeled senior have lots more goodies and such in them that my birds love more than the regular ones) and perhaps some Avi-cakes. I imagine they will only accept (the store I mean) something unopened, as a measure of precaution to make sure no one tries to donate anything that's been tampered with potentially in a deadly manner, so I may have to stick to something I can purchase rather than home make.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
You can try things that he normally does not eat. Is he on a seed diet? if so, offering seed will not be the thing he will be most interested in.

Pine nuts are my guys favorite and safflower seeds. But I dont normally offer seed, so safflower seeds are relished.

You could see what his favorite dried fruit would be. Or fresh fruit. Even veggies. Sugar snap peas and green beans are great. The seed pods inside the beans tend to make birds go nuts for them. I think the whole "unshelling" is what gets them.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My 'too likes Avicakes, pine nuts, walnuts and Avian Organics & Fine Feather baked treats.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Sad but I think you made the right decision. A too & close neighbors does not make for a good situation.

Hope he finds a forever home & someday you find your too when you can give them all that they need.