• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Nesting box and encouraging nesting behaviours

Akhanta

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ola
My friend, an experienced keeper and owner, lives with a cute U2 couple. She usually doesn't encourage nesting behaviours in her birds, but if they decide to lay eggs, lets the birds raise them. This, however, doesn't happen too often, since her parrots have a plenty of space and toys to play with and obviously have better thing to do, than having "children" ;)

So, the U2s, are a fresh couple - both are adult though and from what I know, they lost they previous mates. They have access to multiple nesting boxes for all the time and sleep inside every night. The thing is - they do nothing more. They seem to be completely not interested in nesting.

Do you guys have any idea how to encourage some breeding/nesting behaviour in them? Should they have free access to the box for all the time, or should we remove it and give it back in the spring?
I would be grateful for your opinions <3

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Is she trying to breed them?
Some birds like some species of conures do sleep in their nest hollows year round but I believe cockatoos usually use them only when nesting.
It sounds like there's just something "off" for them - perhaps they just need more time to bond with each other or perhaps they need a diet that's a little richer to want to breed. Maybe they are just new and scared and hiding in the box for security. If they came from breeders who kept them in outdoor aviaries, they might have learned to sleep in the nestbox due to predators - racoons are notorious for climbing on aviaries and trying to grab birds through the mesh.
Something to keep in mind is that formerly handfed cockatoos often make poor breeders, and in particular, the males can be aggressive to the females, so I would be careful to watch for signs of aggression from the male if nestboxes are provided.

Akhanta

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ola
She doesn't forcefully breed them. With her birds it's always like - if they lay eggs, it's awesome, let's raise babies, if they doesn't, it's okay too. But now that me and my other friend are searching for a trusted 'too breeder and she seems to be our only and perfect choice, we all would like to somehow... inspire her toos ;)
They've been together for at least few months and they're perfectly bonded, both with each other and with her. Even more, they try to "steal" her other birds' nestboxes, but they just keep peeking inside, chewing on the wood etc. I have no idea what it may mean.
Also, their diet is perfect. Pellets, tons of fruits and vegetables (seriously, dozens of kinds!), boiled food, sprouts, everything. I almost engy them personally :D
And they are not scared - in fact, they happily let my and my friends hug and pet them despite seeing us for a first time, just like that.

As for their origin: the boy has been in the friend's house since always, had babies with his first mate (also the friend's bird), but the mate passed away. Some time later he got a new mate, this current one, and bonded with her. At least if I remember the story right. I don't know the origin of the girl, but she is tame too. Both had children (again, if I remember right), so they know how it works.

Also they aren't aggressive at all - they're like dolls or plushies, actually :)

If something's off, we have no idea what it may be, everything looks perfect...
The nestbox is available for all the time, maybe that's the problem? Does it make any difference?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
So, the U2s, are a fresh couple - both are adult though and from what I know, they lost they previous mates. They have access to multiple nesting boxes for all the time and sleep inside every night. The thing is - they do nothing more. They seem to be completely not interested in nesting.
Just because you "arrange" a marriage, doesn't automatically mean love. We choose our own friends. Not you choose for me.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
No offense meant, but if they don't feel like "it" they won't and, to the best of my knowledge, they should be left alone to do what they want. Also no offense meant my hubby & I love each other dearly. That said, it doesn't mean we tried to procreate @ every opportunity we had when we were younger.

And I guess my question would be - does the birds' owner know that you are trying to "get them in the mood"? Quite frankly your best bet is to leave them alone and let them do what they will when they want to. All around it will be a healthier situation for them and that is the most important thing to keep in mind particularly if you want chicks who are healthy and well rounded in their upbringing.

While breeding may be forced I would not consider it safe nor healthy to do. As a human if you were put in that situation would you like it? Then don't push it on any other living creature.

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If they've only been together for a few months, that might be too soon to expect anything. Also, its the middle of winter. If it were me, I wouldn't be too disappointed until this time next year when nothing has happened. I'm not sure there is a right or wrong for leaving the nest box in. If they are going in and out of it now, that might be a better sign than you think. Many times a pair will spend a lot of time preparing their nest box before actually laying eggs. I tend not to give my pairs their nest until spring, but there have been times that I just left the box up because I was too lazy to take it down and the birds just re-nested when they felt like it. I should say that I've never bred cockatoos before. Currently I have amazons and parrotlets that I sometimes breed.

Akhanta

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ola
Just because you "arrange" a marriage, doesn't automatically mean love. We choose our own friends. Not you choose for me.
Relax... In my first post I have stated, if not for a few times, they ARE a couple already... I'm not talking about some unfamiliar birds.

No offense meant, but if they don't feel like "it" they won't and, to the best of my knowledge, they should be left alone to do what they want. Also no offense meant my hubby & I love each other dearly. That said, it doesn't mean we tried to procreate @ every opportunity we had when we were younger.

And I guess my question would be - does the birds' owner know that you are trying to "get them in the mood"? Quite frankly your best bet is to leave them alone and let them do what they will when they want to. All around it will be a healthier situation for them and that is the most important thing to keep in mind particularly if you want chicks who are healthy and well rounded in their upbringing.

While breeding may be forced I would not consider it safe nor healthy to do. As a human if you were put in that situation would you like it? Then don't push it on any other living creature.
Sure the owner knows and wants it too.
The toos ALREADY had eggs in the past. I'm also not talking about *forcing* things, but just *inspiring* the birds. Do I push anything on anyone? Stop jumping to assumptions... :/ I'm kind of tired with people on AA kicking a fuss about almost every single thing or question.
And as much as I love birds, they are *animals*, not *humans*. I doubt if they have human ambitions or plans for the future. Procreation is big part of animals' instinct and really, I don't think like they can choose to pursue their career or hobbies instead.

If they've only been together for a few months, that might be too soon to expect anything. Also, its the middle of winter. If it were me, I wouldn't be too disappointed until this time next year when nothing has happened. I'm not sure there is a right or wrong for leaving the nest box in. If they are going in and out of it now, that might be a better sign than you think. Many times a pair will spend a lot of time preparing their nest box before actually laying eggs. I tend not to give my pairs their nest until spring, but there have been times that I just left the box up because I was too lazy to take it down and the birds just re-nested when they felt like it. I should say that I've never bred cockatoos before. Currently I have amazons and parrotlets that I sometimes breed.
It may be the winter thing... They are a couple (I don't know for how long, though) and already had eggs once or twice. They were acting like if they were "planning" something in November - checking nest boxes and cutomizing them etc etc, but nothing happened. According to the thrice-per-year (every 4 months) cycle - that also Tony Silva talked about if I'm right - they should make a next attempt in March...

Shame there no responsible, trustworthy breeders in Poland, almost only poor ones caring mostly about money, not the health and state of their birds :(

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
If you are trying to "inspire" them then you are forcing the situation. Either they want to do something or they don't. Birds may be animals but they do have feelings and, in turn, some people are animals. In the same way some people love their fids and others consider their birds/animals as belongings and "just" a bird or an animal. A very old world outlook on companion animals of any kind in this day and age.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I also wonder if rearing young would change those two Toos? You say they're bonded with their owner also?

Is she OK if she loses that bond? With a totally bonded, breeding pair, the owner is often aggressively chased away.