• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Eclectus Roll Call!

Alessandro

Checking out the neighborhood
WP_20161011_002.jpg WP_20161025_001.jpg WP_20161025_003.jpg WP_20161107_001.jpg

Hi. This is Leopoldo. He is believed to be six years old. He has been with us for two months. We had no previous experience with parrots but did some research and decided to adopt an adult Eclectus.

In our research we had read that Eclectus parrots can keep themselves busy with toys, but Leopoldo doesn't seem to like any toys. We bought him many different toys but he doesn't even notice them. And he definitely does not like to be alone. He likes to be where we are, whether it's on our shoulder, on our arm, on the desk where I am working, on the back of the chair where I am sitting, or even on the top of his cage as long as we are in the same room. He likes to get kisses on the top of his beak. He says many different words that he learned from his previous owners but until now he only talks when he is alone in the room. He also laughs and makes many other nice sounds. He hasn't learned any new words from us, but a couple of days ago he started to imitate certain sounds I have been making with my mouth for him. I am not sure why he is imitating those sounds but not my speech.

We haven't yet been able to teach him to poop *always* in the right place (that is, on the edge of the cage). Most of the times if he has been on our shoulder for a while and we take him to the cage and say "poop" to him he will go on the top of the cage and poop right away, so perhaps he does understand that we want him to poop there, but if we forget to take him to the cage for longer than 15-20 minutes, he will just poop wherever he happens to be, especially if he is doing something interesting. I wish we could teach him to hold it for a little longer, or perhaps to go to the cage by himself when he needs to. This situation is frustrating.

The other frustrating thing is that it's difficult to persuade him to go in his cage. When we are home during the day we keep him out of the cage, but when we are out he has to be in the cage with the cage door locked; but many times he doesn't want to. Even if we show him a treat and put it in the cage, this trick will only work one or two times. The next time, he will remember that we closed the door behind him and will refuse to go inside the cage. Often he gets angry when it's time to go to bed. Sometimes he growls when we close the door of the room and switch off the light at night, even if we leave the cage door open. I hope he will learn that there is a time when everybody has to go to sleep.

Overall, he is very sweet and an interesting companion. He is extremely curious. When we are doing something unusual he wants to be present, watch closely, and comment with his cute little sounds.

Attachments

bicmeister

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Bichlien
mine grew into his toys. it took him a while before he started playing so don't worry. if he is 6, he may have not had many toys in his other living situation so it could be a new thing for him.
also he's gorgeous!!!!

Aggie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
This is echo going on his first car ride for a picnic. He's 5months old. He goes out everday and is out of his cage whenever we are home. He is very playful and adventurous. He has been with us 6 weeks and has already started to talk. Couldn't imagine a life without him now as he has fitted in perfectly. He has stumpy tail cattle dog as a brother who he tries to ride.

Attachments

BuddysMomma

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Adrienne
Hi everybody! I'm new here and want to introduce Buddy. Not sure of subspecies or a whole lot about his home history, but he is 15 years old and a real sweetheart. I have just recently been approved to adopt him and I'm over the moon... expecting his cage to ship soon and I can't wait to get everything ready for him! This will be my first bird, and probably last as he has reportedly been violent to another bird in his previous foster situation. Anyway, he loves people and prefers to hang out with you on your shoulder. According to the rescue he is not really into toys but I hope that might change over time. We traveled quite a bit to visit him last month and got to spend several hours getting to know him.

He says quite a few things in his super adorable voice - "hi honey" "hello" "i love you" "momma kiss?" "mwah!" "see you tomorrow" "yum" "is it good?" "wooo" and a lot more according to foster mom.
He is not always great about stepping up but he will do it a lot of the time so I'm sure we can improve on that eventually with the right motivation. The only thing I am worried about is that he can be a bit grumpy when he doesn't want to go in his cage. As you can see he has some history of plucking. His beak is a bit long right now but I think they are going to have their vet take care of it before he comes home with me. These are the only photos I have so far as I don't get to pick him up until mid-March but here you go!

15272068_271986149866292_1820335089082787930_o.jpg
16487650_515518895289925_3931032795242399661_o.jpg 16683855_518124011696080_6984550200944070266_n.jpg

Leanna

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Leanna B
This is my 9 week old baby. I haven't given him a name yet as he is not home from the breeder. He's the most adventurous of his clutch and likes to steal food meant for his siblings. The breeder thinks he will be quick to wean and will be done by the end of next month. Honestly, I'm in no rush because I haven't set up his cage yet.

unnamed.jpg 0.jpg