• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My first bird related heart attack

The Janitor

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tom
Since getting my precious Kanji, I've gotten in touch he habit of leaving him out of his cage by himself every so often while I sneak into another room for a quick smoke. So far, he has always stayed on or in his cages. But this morning, for the first time I came back and no Kanji!:scared3:. After a frantic 5 minutes of searching, and even running out to the living room to make sure he didn't escape and decide to go visit my roommate's cats, I found the little stinker exploring under the bottom shelf of my computer desk.

This guy is going to turn my beard grey, but I'm loving every minute of it!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Scary!:eek: Glad he was found safe and sound!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm glad he's okay. My tiel once got "lost" behind our piano and I was borderline hysterical looking for him. It's amazing how quick they can be.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I have 2 almost 8 week old gcc chicks and last night, Fred & I spent a good 1-2 hours trying to find the little stinker. He'd made it out of the nest box and we tore the entire family room apart and even check the garbage container outside as we'd emptied all the waste baskets in the family room/bird room. I still don't know where he hid while we were looking but as I started turning off lights in order to get everyone to bed (and also in hopes we'd hear the little stinker) he showed up on the very bottom shelf of the bookshelf that his nestbox is on.

We had looked under/in/on top of everything, behind the fridge, behind the freezer, tore apart the sofa (we had one baby before now bury under the sofa cushion).

The Janitor

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tom
It's shocking how easily he can hide. And I swear that he did it just to scare me. Normally if he doesn't make it when he tries to fly somewhere and ends up on the floor, he immediately starts chirping and won't stop until I pick him up. This time he was completely silent. I can only imagine what he will put me through once his flight feathers grow back.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
record his chirps on your computer, then save it. you can play it when they decide to ditch themselves. they just can't resist chirping back.

ZoeyFredrik

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nik
Glad he's okay! Birds are good at scaring us. Fred is the expert in my house. One time he was missing for hours and I finally found him on the other side of the house, inside of a poster tube.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Cockatiels are masters of camouflage. Lost one quite a few times only they weren't lost. They just didn't want to be found. :D

blewin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ben
When Buddy was free-range, her favorite hiding place was in a corner right by the fridge, followed by behind the couch.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
@blewin it's a warm space and they like that warmth.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Cockatiels are masters of camouflage. Lost one quite a few times only they weren't lost. They just didn't want to be found. :D
Which reminds me… How's Mr. Chirpy's butt?

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
yup, you are the intruder and they can get testy about it.