• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

AC out

janicedyh

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
My AC went out last night. I'm waiting till the repair guy gives me the bad/good news but in the meantime its 89 degrees in my house. Will this heat affect Kiwi? I'm telling myself birds don't have AC in the wild so I should not worry. It might be worse for me than her. What do you think?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am just guessing but I would think in the 80s would be okay. I'd just keep an eye on him.

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Spritzing ourselves with water from her little spritz bottle. Feels good on my face and she loves it. I'm honestly melting here! Right now its the issue if the unit is still under warranty because the entire things needs replacing, UGH! I know at this late hour they won't be doing it tonight.

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
I have her bath on top of her cage and she has taken a few dunks...she does love her water. I put her in a new travel cage (its MUCH bigger than a real travel cage) in a cooler part of the room but she isn't familiar with the food/water cups. I didn't want her dehydrated so I put her back to her other cage. Its like worrying over a baby ...you KNOW what I mean

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
If you have other pets with fur they can be spritz also. You can rub a little alcohol on the ear lobes of cats or dogs too and that helps them to stay cooler.

Don't you hate it when AC is out!

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
make swamp cooler: a box fan, a 9x13" pan, and half blocks of ice. set the pan on a phone book in front of the box fan, plop a half block of ice in the pan. blow the fan on medium over the ice. works fairly well.

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Just went out and bought a room free standing AC. Now, going to get help from the son in law to try and open the stuck window to vent. The earliest the new AC will be installed is Saturday....might even be Monday. Kiwi seems to be OK. She even likes the ice cube I put into her water. Its more me that needs to be worried about : ) ....I am sweating buckets! Makes one think of all the people who don't have climate control and of course the homeless in states where the temp is hitting 100 : (

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
I've watched the swamp cooler videos on youtube.....I love it but as usual, I'm a little lazy

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
I have made them when my bedroom is hotter then sin and I am waiting for the A/C is getting down the hallway. I used 1 gallon size blocks of ice.

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
89 degrees should be fine as long as she has plenty of water, ideally a dish large enough to bathe in.
Watch for signs of her starting to become uncomfortable (panting or holding her wings away from her body). If she starts doing that, you might want to mist her lightly. You can also try partially freezing some grapes or other favorite fruit and offering them as a snack.

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
theres been a lot of commotion around here today...ac guys in and out, fans blowing and the noise from a free standing ac I bought. I don't see any signs of stress health wise but she is very clingy...like a baby. She just wants to sit with me and me pet her little head more than normal. mommy will protect you from all the noise and loud ac guys.

Lodah

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month