• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I want a Linnie!

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
@jmfleish
You have quite the little bird zoo! :laugh: I already have the confidence to trim his nails! I think... Oh wait, I don't even have him yet...:o: I have heard they like to burrow! And Moe certainly does! He has a hanging snugly pouch in his cage. Thanks for telling me about watching out for rope toys!
We lost a couple that way. We thought we had removed all the dangerous toys and turns out we weren't being careful enough. Now I don't give them anything that has frizzy ends on it. It's too scary for my tastes.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
View attachment 231265 Jen sells a 3 tiered twine ball that my Linnies just loved to tear into. I ordered it two different times because over time they totally destroyed it.
The funny thing about Linnies is that toys that are much bigger than they are don't scare them at all. If it's shreddable, they will take it on!;)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
So true. Mine actually crawled into the center of the vine ball. For a while I thought they were going to build a nest.

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Linnies are very odd little birds, quite different from most other pet parrots.
Most become hand shy as adults, even if they were cuddly babies. They are sweet, adorable little things though. My Kiwi doesn't like to be touched or sit on hands, but he always steps up well. I just let him move to my arm or put him on my shoulder, and he is happy. He's not really afraid of hands, he just acts as if they are unpleasant to touch.
They eat a LOT for their size, and also poop a lot. It seems like they need a bit more of a veggie heavy diet, so while pellets are fine, they shouldn't be the whole diet. If you don't free feed your linnie, you should at least have food available for long mealtimes. Kiwi will usually spend several hours eating slowly (he's been known to fall asleep eating).

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Mine seemed to eat at least 80% of the time. No joke! I found the only green not loved was beet greens. for some reason they did not touch them. I have always wondered how a bird species can be hand shy like they seem to be. Its not a behavior resulting from mistreatment.