• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Im lost need help with my sennie

txdyna65

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
Sorry in advance if this is long winded. Over the past few months Mango my senegal has been distancing himself from me. By this I mean he wants nothing to do with me. I used to be able to get him out of his cage and he sat on my shoulder or we played or went to the outside aviary together. Now if I put my hand in his cage he attacks me. If I put the stick that he likes in there to step up he attacks that. My wife can get him out no problem, but if I come near while he is out he flies off and will come back to her. He barely takes treats from me through the bars, but even then sometimes he will try to sneak a bite in. He wont even let me give him scritches through the bars anymore.

As if this wasnt enough, now he has taken a liking to my 16yr old daughter as well, who up until a few weeks ago he absolutely hated. In the past he has always tried to bite her and wanted nothing to do with her. Now he flies to her shoulder and lets her give him scritches and isnt afraid of her at all like he used to be.

Im not sure what Ive done wrong. Im the only one allowed to give him treats. I give him his food and water, clean his cage and rearrange his toys. I talk to him and whistle with him all during the day. Its as if he only prefers females now. My mom came over a couple of weeks ago and he ran across his cage and put his head down for her. He's never done that in the past. Sometimes when I come to his cage he runs to the other side from me, that is if he doesnt open his beak and squawk at me and try to bite me.

Im at a loss and would like some advice and help please.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
They choose who they choose and that's that. Dobby at first liked me but now my sister is his chosen one. Luckily he doesn't hate me and he will step up nicely accept treats and scratches, she is just for the moment his favorite. Lurch chose me after we wore each other down for a few years. Nerd I was his world, BUT, there were certain things that only he and sister did together.
You can work and spend more one on one time and scratches and treats if he allows it. Dobby was raised by Momazon and her daughter so he tends to like women best anyways and I'm fine with that. I have the rest of our lives together to work things out together.
I'm sure some Sennie owners will jump in with better insights.

Jaguar

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
They choose who they choose and that's that.
Yep. It's something I try to drive home to the "I want a parrot!" people. They pick favorites and usually everyone else is chopped liver. They're programmed that way, being territorial and aggressive over their nest and mate increases the chances of their family thriving.

You haven't done anything wrong, this is just one of those parrot quirks. Sometimes we love on them and feed them and clean up after them and they go and fall in love with someone they see 5 minutes a day. Do your best to work through it. Spend time with him when no one else is around. Give him treats no one else has. Respect his space. And his beak. ;) Hopefully he'll cool off along with the weather.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
My Senagal Jason goes in streaks. Sometimes he prefers me and sometimes my husband. He will only allow one of us to give him scritches on any given day and we never know which one it will be until we try. He may go 1-3 weeks preferring me then then all of a sudden I am chopped liver until the next time he changes allegiance. Sometimes is every couple days sometimes a few weeks.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I agree with the others, you may just not be the chosen one right now. This can change, or it may stay the same.
IMO you should still try to have a relationship with Mango, but it may be different than what you used to have.
Don't push him too hard, that could easily backfire on you, just be there and offer your friendship/play/treat giving abilities.

You have done nothing wrong, it's just the nature of the beast. You might even try backing off attention for a time and see if that piques his interest in you again.

Cross your fingers and hope. ;)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
How old is he, how long have you had him, and have you always been the primary caretaker?

Especially if you've had him since a baby, it's natural for him to distance himself from you as he sees you as the parent. Biology urges him to seek out a non family mate in the flock.

I went through this with my quaker. The more I tried to be friends with him again the harder he pushed back. I gave him his space and let him have control over the situation, and he cane around. It wasn't the same as baby love, but it was also a healthier relationship overall.

txdyna65

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
He is a year and a half and we got him as a baby. My wife and I have shared the care on him from the beginning. We always took turns getting him out and doing things with him, we never wanted him to be a one person bird. I understand it happens, its just a hard thing to accept and just breaks my heart that he would rather attack me than be with me like before. What is really surprising is how he has taken to my daughter. Shes had no interest in Mango or Lucy from the beginning and spends less than 5 min a day even acknowledging their presence. This morning Mango was regurging for both of them, meanwhile chopped liver (me) gets screeched at for filling his food bowl. Im not going to give up on him, maybe I will try backing off on him and see if that helps.

Thank you for the link John, Ive actually read it a few times and had it bookmarked. Was hoping alot of it wouldnt pertain to me lol
I do appreciate everyones help and advice.

jenwren59

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jennifer
Awww, he sure is young to be flipping the switch like this. Sennies are very sensitive parrots, I think. Ours flipped her switch totally about a year ago. She went from seriously bonded to hubby to terrified of him. It is better now but I handle her more than he does these days. She seems well adjusted and happy but she is more hands off now than she used to be.
Training to do simple tricks is a great way to interact. My little sennie sees me as a treat dispenser and so she runs up to offer me her behaviors when she sees me now. She loves to do turn around or the wave. :)

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
How old is he, how long have you had him, and have you always been the primary caretaker?

Especially if you've had him since a baby, it's natural for him to distance himself from you as he sees you as the parent. Biology urges him to seek out a non family mate in the flock.

I went through this with my quaker. The more I tried to be friends with him again the harder he pushed back. I gave him his space and let him have control over the situation, and he cane around. It wasn't the same as baby love, but it was also a healthier relationship overall.
This right here is what I was going to say. It's not unusual for it to happen. Saw it many times with clients at the clinic I worked at. Even the Dr's own bird.

txdyna65

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
Just wanted to give an update. Not really any progress at all. Mango has def. decided he likes females.
Im just the one of the caretakers at this point. He does take treats from me through the bars and if no females are home
he will sometimes let me give him head scratches. I do have to be careful because sometimes he tries to whip his head around for a bite.
Im at least thankful he likes my daughter too, she isnt afraid of him anymore, which is nice.
He has been talking more lately with his little robot voice. He says hi mango hi bird and love you and sometimes will cluck like a chicken, which he
had to have gotten from Lucy our YNA.
He seems happy and my wife and daughter enjoy time with him so Im not stressing over it.

SueA555

Real Name
Sue Anderson
Sounds like things are improving. I've heard that a lot of Senegals become one-person birds. My daughter's only like her, and tolerates her husband, sometimes bites him. Just keep giving him treats and being patient.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Have you done much reading from Barbara Heidenreich, Lara Joseph, Susan Friedman or Hillary Hankey?

Blog | Learning Parrots