• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

9 weeks, she will not step up

Ivy's Momma

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Wendy
Hello everyone! Newby here & I need advise! I have a 9 week old Quaker, Ivy. She absolutely will not step up. I have to basically pry her off of the perch to get her on my finger only to have her quickly jump from my finger to my chest then to my shoulder. When I try to get her to step up she will basically lay down. This is my first experience with a baby this young so any help will be greatly appreciated!!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I have to basically pry her off of the perch to get her on my finger only to have her quickly jump from my finger to my chest then to my shoulder. When I try to get her to step up she will basically lay down.
Hands are scary evil things even to a trusting bird. And your using them in an aggressive non trusting way on a very young insecure bird.

You're not earning one bit of trust doing that. You never mentioned anything about reward?

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Try holding a favorite treat so she will have to step up on your hand to get it. But do not force her to step up by prying her off her perch. If she chooses not to step up. Walk away and try again later. She needs to learn that only good things come from your hands.

Ivy's Momma

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Wendy
Thanks to both of you! I realize what I am doing wrong & will start with a fresh approach in the morning!
I think we are both nervous. She is just so tiny & not used to being away from her flock. The thought of doing anything wrong just absolutely terrifies me!
I adopted my last Quaker when he was est 19-22 yrs old. Well trained & a excellent talker. He was my best friend from day one. He passed 9 mo ago last Friday. It was hard to move on but I am ready to love again & have fallen hard for sweet little Ivy!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
We have all made mistakes. The important thing is when you realize you are making a mistake to stop and change your approach or practices. Good luck with your little Ivy.

Ivy's Momma

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Wendy
Thank you! We have our very first visit with the vet tomorrow & I believe she will kick start me in the right direction!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA and congrats on getting your little Quaker. The keys are patience, patience, more patience and being as calm as possible. Hope all goes well with the vet.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Its best not to force them to step up ..everything you do has to come from a place of trust ..how to you gain trust ..well the easiest way is to bribe them ...find the favorite treat and use that for training ...check out this webinar Parrot Digital Media | Online Parrot Media number 2. Train Your Parrot to Step Up its not free ..but its well worth it ...there is one number 8. Training Rescued and Re-Homed Parrots that is free that covers alot of the same information and is very good ...take the time to watch either one of these and they will help you so much in getting your fid to step up and so much more ...:fairy:

Ivy's Momma

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Wendy
Ivy had a great visit at the vet today! She got a clean bill of health & weighed in at a whopping 73 grams! She is a few grams under weight but doc said that was normal since she is so young & being in a new home. We will be doing weekly weight checks at home. The vet spent alot of time showing me different ways to approach her & tips on training. I am a little more comfortable with her now that I know the correct way to do things.

ZoeyFredrik

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nik
I am glad you had a good visit with the vet today. My Sammy was just a little younger than Ivy when I got him. I still remember the first time he perched on a perch, he didn't grab on well enough and slowly toppled frontward until he was beak down on the cage bottom. When Sammy was learning to perch on the finger I started by placing him on a table or counter and having him walk over to my finger that was placed on the counter. He'd step onto it and I'd slowly raise it. I'd give him some love and praise, place him back down and repeat, a while making sure I said "Step up" when he was getting on my finger. Eventually he put it together that getting on my finger not only brought him to new places and snuggles, it was a high up place - far away from the scary floor.

Ivy makes Sam sound like a quaker giant. Sammy weighs about 140 grams, lol. And he's not overweight, he is on the bigger side of quakers. But that's because he is mature as well, when he was Ivy's age he was a little lighter. :shy:

Ivy sounds like a little cutie! I am a sucker for baby quakers, so if you have pictures, please post!:xflove:

Ivy's Momma

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Wendy
Thanks for the tips! It seems like all my baby wants to do is snuggle! I am not complaining one bit but she does have to learn things. Lol!
I have taken hundreds of pics of her. I want to remember how tiny & sweet she was. cloie & Ivy.jpg Aiden & Ivy.jpg Ivy first food.jpg

santacruzjack

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jack
At such a very young age, and after being grabbed a few times, she's bound to be timid with hands. Now that she's stepping up, try to do things that entertain her every time she comes to you, to encourage and capture that behavior. Physical rewards aren't always necessary, sometimes I find just a high pitched praise is enough.

Ivy's Momma

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Wendy
Ivy is not timid with hands at all. She doesn't attempt to bite your hands or fingers at all unless I try to touch her food while shes eating. She will even walk to my hand & put her little head under it for scratches.