• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Windows and flying

WhoaNellie

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
We brought home a 5 month old caique a couple days ago. She's flown into the windows a couple times. Once, from quite a distance and hit pretty hard (our floorplan is very open, so she has room to get going pretty fast). We let her wander around on the windowsill, hoping that she would understand that there is something solid there, but she hit it again. She's not my first bird, but I've never had a problem with this before. Any suggestions?

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
Try using UV markers and drawing on the windows. You could also Buy window decals to put on your windows or close blinds/curtains. :)

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Weird suggestion but some liquor stores sell pens to mark people's glasses at a party. My suggestion would be find some and just scribble lines or anything that will show on the glass. It isn't permanent but should be visible to your fid.

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Like others have said, you should use something to (temporarily) make the windows more visible. Rubbing a bar of soap on the outside works, or drawing lines on the inside with washable marker. Painters' tape could also be used to make lines. Also take her up to the windows and tap on them with your finger - encourage her to tap them with her beak, too.
Also, of course, be careful of startling her. She's in a new place, and she's still a baby (and going to be clumsier than an adult). Caiques are also heavy bodied birds and just naturally the most graceful fliers, so it can also help to show him safe places to make 'emergency landings' near any especially problematic windows. It could be as simple as occasionally placing her on a chair or other piece of furniture near the window so she learns it is safe to land on if she finds herself headed toward the window.

Her flying should improve as she gets older and more familiar with her surroundings.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I have learned that a bird will eventually learn about the glass barrier. However if any bird is startled by sudden sound or sight they may think the fastest way to get away is via the window. Best to cover the window with a blind or curtain temporarily until you feel the bird is safe. You are fortunate there were no injuries. Don't forget about mirrors.

WhoaNellie

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Thanks all! We have huge windows with no blinds/curtains (we live in a rural area with no visible neighbors). I'll try the erasable marker thing and add safe landing spots near the windows for now.

I have learned that a bird will eventually learn about the glass barrier. However if any bird is startled by sudden sound or sight they may think the fastest way to get away is via the window. Best to cover the window with a blind or curtain temporarily until you feel the bird is safe. You are fortunate there were no injuries. Don't forget about mirrors.
I didn't think about mirrors. Thank you.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
However if any bird is startled by sudden sound or sight they may think the fastest way to get away is via the window.
We lost a tiel a few years ago when he crashed into the window. He was sitting on his cage when a storm came in and caused a power outage. He was spooked and flew towards the window, obviously seeing the lightning. He hit the window and died instantly from a broken neck...

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
OMG that was terrible. You just never know what our birds will do when frightened.

Jaguar

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
Sheer curtains, made with as snag free (tightly woven) of a fabric as you can find. This gives them a bit of cushion should they continue towards the window anyway :)

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
We lost a tiel a few years ago when he crashed into the window. He was sitting on his cage when a storm came in and caused a power outage. He was spooked and flew towards the window, obviously seeing the lightning. He hit the window and died instantly from a broken neck...
I'm sorry to hear of this, how tragic!
I don't think people think about this till it happens to them.
I was sitting on my rocker during a nighttime storm with my G2 and HM. The power went out and they both flew....somewhere....I was afraid to rock or walk because it was dark. the lights came back in a few minutes and we recovered. They are birds who normally would not fly and leave me. They stick tight normally but they got spooked.
I now have an emergency light that comes on automatically in EVERY room that I EVER travel to with a bird. They can also be unplugged and used as flashlights in emergencies. You buy them at Home Depot/ Lowes etc and they are inexpensive.