• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How old do you think she is?

learnincurve

Walking the driveway
Real Name
helen
We know she's over five now, because the kid who was in charge of her "care" got intimidated into a confession, but I wonder if her condition is due to her being abused or because she's very old. Opinions on a post(card) please

This is how she looked when we first got her.

KatherinesBirds

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katherine
How does she look now? What sort of abuse do you suspect she endured? Her feathering looks a bit dull but it could be the lighting. They also look a little thin, like the conure I bought recently. Her tail is a little messy. Hard to really see. Can you give us more pictures?

learnincurve

Walking the driveway
Real Name
helen
@KatherinesBirds It's a horror story. She was put to be sold with her mate in a 24x24x24 cage, mate turned on her, she was put in another small cage in the back room, he was sold she went back on sale when she had recovered and was on sale as "9 months old" and next to a lovebird who was biting her though it's cage. We got the truth out of a kid today who knows she was at least 4 when they got her which makes her over 5 now. My worry is that she's not moulting because she's just very very old. Vet does not deal with many ringnecks and could only say 5 years +.

Bad pictures I know, she has not moulted yet so her condition is pretty much the above. From tonight

learnincurve

Walking the driveway
Real Name
helen
Another rubbish picture (it's night time) showing that she has put weight on.

edit: this is her real colour in all lights, dull snot green. It's worse when she opens her wings because you can see where she's been chewed.

KatherinesBirds

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katherine
Sad story. You sound like a caring person. The bird will be happy with you. Eventually she will moult. Give a good diet with lots of fresh foods. Love and kindness and most of all patience. The tail looks very thin and sparse. She also looks uneasy. Give it time. Give her toys and things to chew on like those little natural fiber chew toys. Lots of room and a feeling of security. Maybe cover her cage at night. Keep cats and other pets away.

KatherinesBirds

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katherine
I raised some beautiful yellow Indian ringneck once but I am not familiar with the normal green color. I don't know if it is supposed to be this dullish color (snot green!) or maybe this will molt out and she will look better.

KatherinesBirds

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katherine
She looks pretty alert. It is hard to tell a bird's age. With larger birds you can look at their feet for the coarseness of the skin or their beak and tell but not exactly how old. She will moult regardless of how old she is. Birds do a mount every year.

Where is her cage located? How handleable is she?

KatherinesBirds

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katherine
Caged ringnecks can live to be 20 to 25 years old. They need plenty of room and play time outside of the cage. 5 years old is not "old". She is most likely a young bird just sad and neglected. They can, with proper care live to be 50 years.

learnincurve

Walking the driveway
Real Name
helen
@KatherinesBirds She's currently upstairs in a macaw sized cage. Her being part of a bonded pair explains all her behaviour so far, we have had her a month now. She tried to bond with our sun conure in the next cage, it was very obvious that he wanted nothing to do with her even though she was very patently trying to get him to sing back and forth with her. They have now been separated (he is downstairs) and there is a new male friend for her in a separate cage and she is happily obsessing over him now as he shows off for her. So far today she has preened, had a bath in her water and eaten a bit of dried fruit after she saw him eating with his foot, only thing she would touch before was small parakeet food. I'm most angry about those [torrent of swearwords] ruining a bonded pair.

janicedyh

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Her color looks a lot like Kiwi, she is a Grey Green. You can't tell much in her pic but she has a few long grey tail feathers and some blended into her wings. The Greens and Grey Greens are not as flashy as the brighter colors but still are beautiful. I describe Kiwi as "olive" green. In fact, I almost named her Olive. Your little one is lucky you have her. Please post update pics of her

Loppy

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jen
A little late getting to this thread... but she looks like she's doing well under your care. I'm glad she's had a bath and doing bird things. I hope she makes friends with the other male friend. You are an awesome person for caring for her. I hope she's with you a long time!