• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Two Cats and a Budgie?

If your bird had a deadly disease, and you needed to spend thousands to save it, would you?

• Yes!!!

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • I would consider, but...

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • No, however much i love them- i wouldnt

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

HawkEagle

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Paulina
Hello!
I have just joined Avain Avenue, and would like to ask a very important question. For the past week I have been going to bed at 1am thinking about cats and budgies and sprays and accidents and cages.

So, we have two long-furred cats. One of them is an outdoorsy-type called Casso. He is out for all of the night and is only in the house in the morning and evening, and sometimes in for Lunch. Lucky, on the other hand, is a very sleepy and indoor-orientated cat. He lazes about all day and eats. Seriously, he eats like an elephant... But that isn't important now :)

I like birds and really want to get a budgie. Now, the problem is our flat is unusually shaped. It has an exit into the yard, the whole lower floor is the living room, there is a medium-size shower room, a spiral staircase upstairs (no idea why!!!), a kitchen/lounge with a sofa, table, everything and a bathroom.
Is there a way I can have the species co-exist? I heard spray bottles (water and lemon juice/vinegar)work wonders, and I have been thinking about locking the bird in the shower room at night- will it be OK? There is space.

Please help! Your ideas really matter!

Polina

HawkEagle

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Paulina
And, to add... we cannot have a cage on wheels because we don't have room. We do, however, have an enormous desk for the cage. Hanging the cage also isn't an option.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. I'm not quite sure what you're asking. The only way for cats and birds to live in the same household safely is if they have no access to each other. Even the nicest cat can't be trusted with a bird. It's their natural instinct. Birds need out of the cage time so you would need to have a place to safely let the bird out each day away from the cats. Or the cats would have to be outside at the time. I know we have members here with both cats and birds and hopefully they can give you tips on what they do.

Percy&Ivan

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
Let me explain my vote and then I will give my 2cents
If my bird is old and expected to die in the next 1-2 hrs I would probably not spend thousands his life is naturally coming to an end he just got a disease. All under circumstances yes I would spend thousands and thousands for Percy but not when his expected life span is 20 and he is 19
Now yes you could have 50 cats and have a bird, it's as simple as keep them away from each other :)

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
I had a wonderful cat, in the past, who had no interest in the birds whatsoever. She would actually come and get me if she felt something was wrong in the bird room. I still would not let her be out and about when the birds were out of their cages. It only takes a second for disaster to happen, even with supervision, and it is in their nature to hunt. We now have an 8 month old kitten. She is fascinated by the bigger birds, and obsessed with our budgie. She will will sit and stare at him for hours. The budgie's cage is inaccessible to her, so she can't stress him out too much. I know Sophie would go after him in a heartbeat if he were to get out of the cage with her around. I won't take any chances.

I am not a fan of using a spray bottle to deter an animal from doing something or using it as a form of punishment. I feel it is counter productive and mean. Positive reinforcement is a much better way to handle these situations. If you were to get a budgie, I would put the cats in another room while the bird is out of cage and make the cage inaccessible to the cats. Keeping the cage on a desk will work for the cage, but since cats are climbers and jumpers there is nothing to keep the cat away from the bird and cage. Cat saliva is toxic to birds, so you have to be extra careful that they don't have any interaction with each other.

Tanya

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
Welcome, welcome!

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Im a bit confused on the poll and the thread. Is your budgie sick?

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
If you were tp get a budgie I recommend two. They really need a friend. They will still tame easily but they love bird friends.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

Jaguar

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
Whenever the bird is out of the cage, which it should be for at least a few hours a day, the cats need to be either outside or behind a closed door. No exceptions.

When the bird is caged, it depends on the cat's behavior. If they "stalk" the budgie by sitting under or beside its cage, watch it excessively, try to get their paws in the bars, etc. they will need to be kept separated permanently. It is not fair for your budgie to constantly feel hunted and stressed.

Your cage will need to be extremely secure. I would recommend some kind of straps or ties so the cage cannot be knocked off the desk. You'll also have to find a way to block the edges so the cats aren't tempted to jump up and harass the budgie.

Overall it can be done if you're VERY vigilant but even one lapse of safety could be the death of your bird. A budgie is the perfect cat toy. Small, colorful, feathery, fluttery. It will entice even the laziest of cats.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
One of them is an outdoorsy-type called Casso. He is out for all of the night and is only in the house in the morning and evening, and sometimes in for Lunch
This is not a house cat. This is a semi feral cat with a healthy predatory drive that is regularly practiced (every night).

One little mistake with that cat around your bird and the bird is toast. It will also be constant stress for the bird to be in that cats presence because it will always feel "hunted".

WeasleyLover

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
I would NOT keep the budgie in an area where your cats are. That sounds like a disaster waiting to happen, even if your cats seem like they don't want to bother the bird. Is there a bedroom you could keep the bird in? Or an office?