• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Collapsed Eggs/Possible Surgery--long winded.... Sad Update #22

all4stvoyager

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sara
Hello Group!

I haven't posted in here for quite awhile. I hope everyone and their flock is healthy and happy!

So, my female eclectus, Chili, isn't doing too well. I'm hoping to get your feedback. Based on multiple recent visits to local vets (1st to local ER, then to Surgeon based on ER recommendation, Regular avian certified vet for 3rd opinion because she's well trusted in the area), the following has been determined:

*She has 2 collapsed eggs further down the reproductive system.
*She has one large egg sitting just above the 2 collapsed. It is up far enough no one understands how there is a shell around it.
*The large egg has no way to get out.
*Her air sacs are not visible in the xrays because of all the stuff going on in her abdom.)
*Her white blood cell count is elevated, but not crazy high.
*Her red blood cell count is low.
*Her liver enzymes are high.
*Her liver function is normal.
*Her cholesterol/phosphorus/calcium is high (but is normally when producing eggs)
*She weighs 30 grams more than usual due to what is in her belly.

ER vet says based on xrays, need surgery.

So I go to see the surgeon who does blood work and looks at er xray. He says she more than likely has had the eggs in there for awhile, and the eggs are probably adhered to the surrounding organs...that she would probably not survive the surgery. He says do nothing but xrays in a month.

Since I think doing nothing is really scary, I go see our regular vet Dr Osofsky. She spends over an hour with me discussing options. Surgery is normally risky in parrots. A parrot that cannot use air sacs, worse. A parrot with a severely compromised anatomy, worse. We can do a super Lupron implant (birdy IUD essentially) to try to stop her from producing (not guaranteed), and keep her on antibiotics and anti-inflammatories for the rest of her life. No educated guess on the length of time she can live like this. If she is just determined to keep producing eggs, she will definitely die. And not pleasantly. Dr admits to me that its a really hard choice and second guessing either way is inevitable.

Good news:
Chili is still eating, drinking, chattering, pooping normally, etc. She is also breathing just fine...which is surprising since her air sacs cannot even be seen on the xray...The only way I can tell there is something wrong is because she is plucked and bare on her belly....and I can see that her lower belly is gigantic. But as we all know....birds hide things until its often too late...

All of this being said....and hours thinking about it....I'm starting to come to the conclusion that surgery is the way to go. If she lives through the surgery, all problems go away. If she doesn't, then she doesn't die suffering. If we don't do surgery, she's going to die, but no idea as to how. She could prolapse, or die of infection, or some other horribly graphic and painful way. I DON'T want it to be that I come home from work one day to find her having passed in some way that I could have prevented her suffering. I don't think I could live with myself.

What would you guys do?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Oh, I'm so sorry.:(What a tough decision. I don't have any experience in this area, and maybe others who do will chime in, but while I was reading your post I was thinking if it were me I would probably try the surgery. Like you said, it kind of seems like the only option that has the potential to fix the problem or ease suffering later. So scary though. I hope she will be okay!
:sadhug2:

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I'm so sorry too. I think I would have to say I agree with Tiel Feathers if it was my bird. Very tough decision though.

:bump7:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
All of this being said....and hours thinking about it....I'm starting to come to the conclusion that surgery is the way to go. If she lives through the surgery, all problems go away. If she doesn't, then she doesn't die suffering
That is the option I would choose. The other choice is to help her pass over peacefully because as you said she is going to die. It's going to be expensive so if money is no object then I would go that route.

I'm so sorry this is happening. :hug8:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm so sorry. I think I would try surgery too. Hugs.

Gen120

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
Oh no, poor baby! I agree, I would try the surgery & hopefully she will pull through! Praying for you both!

all4stvoyager

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sara
Thank you all.

I spoke extensively today with the surgeon at Texas A&M who is the top expert of all I've seen. She said that with a bird, there is no way to remove the complete ovary even if the rest of the reproductive system is removed. This means that she could still produce eggs....well...the yolks of eggs. Except at that point, there wouldn't be anywhere for the egg to go, so it would go into the chest/stomach cavity and ferment...and kill her.

This leads me to the conclusion that even if surgery is successful, it isn't a fix. I have scheduled to put her to sleep Saturday. Between now and then I am just going to hold and love on her. She will have no idea why I am so upset...and I feel bad about that.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Oh no! I'm so very, very sorry! My heart aches for you both. :sad2:She'll enjoy all your attention the next few days. Big hugs to you.
:sadhug2::sadhug2::sadhug2::sadhug2::sadhug2::sadhug2:

Rolanda

I am so sorry, Sara. I'm actually choked up/tearing for you. I am sorry your little friend has only the option you presented. You are doing the best you can for her, know that. As you said "...hold her and love on her..." she will know that you love her even if she feels you are upset.
:sad6:

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
I am so sorry. It sounds like you are doing the best for her although it is terribly hard for you. All other options sound risky with a poor prognosis. Helping her pass peacefully is an act of love. My thoughts are with you.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Oh my! I'm so sorry you have to deal with this. Quality of life is a difficult situation. Love on her as much as you can, and hold her in your arms ( if you can) when she crosses the bridge.:sadhug2:

Heather F

Oh that is so sad. :sad11:

I'm so sorry that her prognosis is so poor, and it sounds like you are making the right decision, as heartbreaking as it is. All you can do is make sure she is loved and loved and loved and spoiled rotten for the rest of her time left.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I'm so sorry. I'm glad she has you thou.:heart: :sadhug2::heart:

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I am so sorry, Sara. that decision has to be so hard for you. but you are doing every thing possible, by researching for every bit of information you can. love her, hold her until the angels come from the Rainbow Bridge.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm so sorry.

:sadhug2:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
You have my deepest sympathy. It takes a strong compassionate heart to make some of lifes decisions. We will all be with you and Chili Saturday. We have many friends there waiting for her. :hug8:

You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, 'I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.' You must do the thing you think you cannot do.
Eleanor Roosevelt
US diplomat & reformer (1884 - 1962)

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I'm so sorry.

My Cassie (LSC) had the same problems as your Chili has. She even passed eggs with shells, while she had other eggs in and around her ovaries. Our AV did surgery, and ended up spaying Cass. She survived the surgery, but passed away a few months after, due to damage suffered by the disarrangement of internal organs...caused by the buildup of eggs.

The surgery gave us 5 precious months more with Cass, and I know she wasn't in any pain throughout that time.

Your decision is the right one, and a very hard one...and it is the ultimate act of love...
You have my deepest sympathy. It takes a strong compassionate heart to make some of lifes decisions. We will all be with you and Chili Saturday. We have many friends there waiting for her. :hug8:
As usual, John says it best...

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
Wow - I am so sorry. Please take care of yourself as well in these difficult days. :sadhug2:

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Im so sorry to hear this but some times the hardest choicest are the best for our animals ...So sorry :darkcloud:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am very sorry.