• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Probably not urgent, bleeding beak???

Percy&Ivan

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
Um well here.... I guess a picture is worth a thousand words I'm just cocerned

Percy&Ivan

Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
He won't let me get a picture, he has a red vane from the Nare to half down his beak. If you need a picture can you give me some ideas o. How?

Tanya

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
Is he sitting still or climbing around his cage? Eating? Poops look ok?

Percy&Ivan

Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
Yes, completely normal

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If it's just visible & not bleeding, it sounds like it might be okay. Is it like how you can see veins through your own skin? You know, when they're close to the surface? If so, that's normal. If there's actual blood or something that looks irregular, not normal.

Jenphilly

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Is it actually bleeding? Worst case, if you're really worried, then do the birdie burrito on him with a hand towel and get a quick pic. Yes, its kinda man handling, but sometimes when health and safety is involved you need to do what you need to do....

Percy&Ivan

Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
It is kinda like seeing a vane , just darker. From what yo said he should be fine. I I'll se about a pic tommorow

Jenphilly

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
It is kinda like seeing a vane , just darker. From what yo said he should be fine. I I'll se about a pic tommorow

You might just be seeing color differences as the beak is naturally peeling, so it could be a vein you see or just a line where the beak may peel or flake. Pic would definitely help, but agree if you're not seeing actual blood, then most likely you are okay. Birds can bruise their beaks too, so if your little one was wrestling with a toy that hit back or he flew into something, don't be shocked if you see coloration difference from an 'injury' that resulted in a bruise.

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Sounds like a bruised beak, if there's no actual crack, there's not much to be done except of course make sure he is eating well (since he may find it painful to crack seeds and other hard foods). It happens sometimes and it's usually nothing.
If he hit his beak hard enough that you suspect there might be a small crack, though, it's probably safer to see the vet, they might want to seal it or put him on antibiotics so it doesn't get infected.

Percy&Ivan

Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
There is a long white lien running perpendicular to the "vane" I will be going to the vet really soon so she can look!