• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Nail Trimming

Percy&Ivan

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
How do you do this?
The time has come and it needs to be done.
Thanks!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I cheat and have a very, very experienced avian vet tech (also a behaviorist), come to my home to do this when it needs to be done.

Of course, vets do it in their office.

I'm toying with the idea to train the zons to let me use emery boards on their nails in order to do it gradually and without stress.

It scares me on a number of fronts because they can bleed if the nails are cut in too far and trying to wrap an Amazon like a burrito isn't something I want to think about (that has its risks too).

Percy&Ivan

Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
So should I see if my get will do it?

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
So should I see if my get will do it?
In my humble opinion, wouldn't hurt to call and ask what the cost would be. If it's close to wellness check time, maybe do both at the same time?

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Have the vet teach you how, if he/ she will. I do my birds nails , they're so good about it. Just lay on they're back, trim, trim,,were done! Always have quick stop powder close, just in case.

Percy&Ivan

Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
I called and it would be a combned total f 100 dollars for a wellness and nail trim, so I will look into it!

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Have the vet teach you how, if he/ she will. I do my birds nails , they're so good about it. Just lay on they're back, trim, trim,,were done! Always have quick stop powder close, just in case.
Really? They lay down for it?

I live for the day my zons trust me that much.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
I do my own ...way easier then driving an hour both ways and the stress of it all ...just the stress of toweling at home and 5 mins nail trimming and its all done ...they are a lil put out but lots of praise during and treats afterward and they forgive me ;)

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I do my own ...way easier then driving an hour both ways and the stress of it all ...just the stress of toweling at home and 5 mins nail trimming and its all done ...they are a lil put out but lots of praise during and treats afterward and they forgive me ;)
So do you use clipper or Dremel?

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I take my birds to the pet shop or vets to have it done, but I have also done it myself. I use nail clippers, and I just take off the very tip. It's definitely helpful if you can have someone else hold the bird.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I take my birds to the pet shop or vets to have it done, but I have also done it myself. I use nail clippers, and I just take off the very tip. It's definitely helpful if you can have someone else hold the bird.
I think they use a Dremel on my zons.

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
We have trained Henry to hold up his foot so we can trim his nails.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
We have trained Henry to hold up his foot so we can trim his nails.
I doubt that I ever accomplish that..... but tips on how you did that would be greatly appreciated.

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
We let Henry play with the nail cutters first. Then I held him while other family member would hold his foot and cut his talons. At first it was a bit of a struggle but over time he stopped struggling and watched. Then we reached the stage were we could put him on the table, again let him play with the nail cutters. But this time we just held his foot while we cut his talons. Now He just sits there and watches us cut his talons.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
We let Henry play with the nail cutters first. Then I held him while other family member would hold his foot and cut his talons. At first it was a bit of a struggle but over time he stopped struggling and watched. Then we reached the stage were we could put him on the table, again let him play with the nail cutters. But this time we just held his foot while we cut his talons. Now He just sits there and watches us cut his talons.
Impressive!

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
The vet does them when they are in for check-ups. I used to take them to the pet store in between. Now I do them. I do Itsy's with human nail clippers or cat nail clippers, just taking the sharp point off. I wrap her in a towel and lay her down between my knees facing me. Tiki I try to do a few while she's on my hand with cat nail clippers. Sometimes I do her in a towel but she is so squirmy and without wing feathers she turns over too easily so is hard to hold. Darwin and Quack I have been doing with cat nail clippers through the cage bars when they are on the side (inside) of their cages. Last night Darby let me do his just perched on my hand so that was good and a bit surprising. He tried to peck the clippers a couple of times but was pretty good when I just talked him through it.

I would definitely get someone else do it first so you can at least see it done and get tips.

The Dremel heats their nails up so you have to only do a few seconds at a time or have someone spray cool water on their toes. But I've never had one bleed from the Dremel. They won't bleed from filing with an emery board either. When using clippers, just take a tiny bit off at a time, even if they are overgrown. Wait at least a week for the quick to recede and trim a bit more if needed.