• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is there anyway to keep nutriberries moist?

rockybird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I live in a very dry climate. When I get the container in the mail and open it, the nutriberries generally seem moister than they do after a week or so in the house. I try to keep them sealed. My caique loves to eat them when they are fresh, but does not seem to like them as much later. Any thoughts on how to keep an economy sized tub of nutriberries moist? Thanks!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Break it down into small portions. Wrap them well in plastic and freeze them. Then you only have to unfreeze a few at a time.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I put mine into quart size ziplock freezer bags, date them and squeeze out as much of the air as possible (that is what cause them to dry out JMHO) and freeze them.

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
@JLcribber Thanks! Do you just freeze a day's worth at a time? Once I put a tub of nutriberries in the freezer after I received them - they were so moist when I removed the tub, that I worried that they would get mold, so I threw it all out. A day's serving should be fine though, I would think?

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
@rocky'smom Thanks! Okay! This seems to be a common theme! I will start freezing them in small amts. I am really glad I asked!

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I only put a single layer in each bag, freeze them flat and not touching their neighbor that way you can thaw out just a few at a time.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Huh?! Good idea, I live the Phoenix area too, have the same problem. Thanks ! I'll try it !

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
You all are great! Thanks again!!! I am going to order a fresh tub right now so I can try it! My caique loves fresh nutriberries and I am always happy to see him eat something healthy.

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
You could try the trick for stale cookies and put some in a bag with a slice of apple to moisten up a little before feeding... no longer than half a day or so, though, you don't want to let the apple go bad.