• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Questions

animallover9

Walking the driveway
I have been looking more and more into parrotlets and have a few questions. What is the difference between a pacific and a speckled parrotlet? Is there a difference between the males and females? Which is easier to handle and less cage aggressive? Is it best to have one or two? Is there any breeders you would recommend?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't know much about spectacled parrotlets. I've heard people say the specs are sweeter. The trouble may well be finding them. I haven't been very much a part of the parrotlet community for a while so I can't recommend a spec breeder. Its been a while since I even saw reference to one online. I believe all of the common parrotlet species(pacific, green rump and spectacled) are sexually dimorphic. In terms of pet quality, I can tell you male and female pacific parrotlets are equal. As breeder birds, the females bite more than the males, but as pets both can be territorial, sweet, nippy, cuddly, bratty all at once.
If you want a bird that likes you, its best to just get one. Pairs of parrotlets are very sweet, but they likely won't like you.
I can't recommend a breeder. I sometimes have baby pacifics available myself. Although I only have one pair and they are older, so not sure if I'll have any more for a couple years. Maybe, maybe not. Be careful buying from parrotlet breeders in Iowa. I don't know them but a lot of little bird breeders have no regard for quarantine, disease control, low stress hand-feeding and weaning or nutrition. I haven't been overly impressed with Iowa bird breeders over the years, but its been a few since I checked in with any of them. Maybe someone new and good has come along.

Last edited:

Jobot

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jo
If you're looking for a bird, I would start with a breeder directory, and look up a couple reputable ones. Sometimes other breeders can point you in the right direction if you're having a hard time finding one. My Pacific Parrotlet is a rehome, and he's pretty great so far. I'm breaking him of his "discipline biting". So far, our little guy is pretty chatty. Chirps quietly to himself all day. But he has some nice quiet periods. But I'm told they do best as single pets. They can be really territorial, especially once they hit maturity.