• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgie doesn't know he's little

RachaelR

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Rachael Rawlings
We have a few parrots, but my daughter has a budgie who is very tame. She has trimmed his wings because he insists on flying towards the bigger birds cages! We don't want any accidents. I don't know why he insists on doing this!!

Anneka

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Most likely he is doing this because he wants other birds' company. Budgies are very social and always live in big flocks in the wild.
If he had a budgie friend, he wouldn't be interested in your birds.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I was going to suggest the same as Anneka- he might enjoy another budgie's company.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
That's a sign there is another budgie needed in your home. They thrive with cage mates.

RachaelR

Real Name
Rachael Rawlings
Would a cage mate make him less affectionate to people? He is a total sweetie!!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
ALL budgies have no idea how small they are. Inside that little body is the mind of an ostrich!
I totally agree. Budgies have big hearts and big personalities, and are fearless to anything.

Although they never interact with Milton, I always fear that they could get into his room and provoke a disaster. This is why we're always so very careful with "out time".....

WeasleyLover

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
ALL budgies have no idea how small they are. Inside that little body is the mind of an ostrich!

THIS! :D

I agree that he would be very happy with a friend. Although, even when I had my flock of 4 budgies, they all still wanted to hang with Peatree. :hehe:

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I had a small dog once .....with the owner before me he went down the street and attacked a huge dog that nearly killed him. When he got healed, off he went again!

He moved in with me and whipped my German Shepherd. I always said if someone broke into my home and picked up my little guy they could have robbed me blind.

Maybe budgies are just filled with self confidence. Maybe that's how we would be without mirrors?

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Her fellow is such a tame little guy. She would hate to lose any of that!
There's tons of budgie folks on here..... surely someone would know if that would happen.

Leah M Pike

Moving in
Her fellow is such a tame little guy. She would hate to lose any of that!
So did you end up getting another budgie? I have the same question. I have one young female. I want her to be happy. She has a LOT of out of cage time with me but im concerned she may need more members in her flock to be content

RachaelR

Real Name
Rachael Rawlings
So far, we haven't gotten another. I'm sure she would if she thought he would still be as tame. He's out a lot as well.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
There might be a difference between parrot species but what I have found is that even when you add another pet into the mix, once they are pets, they stay pets. I have biological brothers of Galahs and of Ekkies who share cages with their siblings (Galahs in Galah cage and Ekkies in Ekkie cage) and they are still as friendly (or crazy in the case of the Galahs) as they always have been.