• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

These teeny tiny micro ants ugh!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
So far we haven't had a regular ant invasion, but the micro smelly when rubbed ants are very fond of Big Scooter's cantaloupe dish. They haven't bothered any one else yet. Anyway I bought nontoxic bug spray, they walk all over it when dry. Tried ACV...it attracts them even more. Squeezed fresh lime juice along their trails....yumm yumm! And the final straw...I bought cut and sifted organic peppermint leaves from Frontier herbs, they are walking all over it! On the way are chopped eucalyptus and bay leaves but I'm not hopeful now. I could put the wheels in dishes of water but it's a pain, plus Rudy would drink from it. BTW Rudy and Big Scooter are intoxicated with the very strong fresh aroma of mint leaves! Any ideas on what to try next?

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Boric acid. It is used in the southern states for ant control and is all natural. Once it dries it is safe for birds. You can also use food grade diatomaceous earth, like many people use for flea control. Ants have chitin just like fleas do and the earth desiccates them and cuts up their chitin, allowing bacteria if kill them. The DE is safe for birds.

Jaguar

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
Tried diatomaceous earth? Supposedly works well.

I had the mini ants a month or two ago, they go for my cat's food and anything the birds toss on the floor. I didn't really do anything but try to vacuum more frequently and they went away

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I hate ants!

We get them every spring. Believe it or not I use a chalk line to keep them out of the cages while I send my husband to the store for outside NON organic bait stations. ;)

I tried DE in the past but I can't keep up outside with the rain washing it away. Im not a fan of dusting it around inside the house.

Get those cute helpers to draw around the cages with sidewalk chalk. ;)

Tim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
DE works great! So safe you can eat it, and works wet or dry. I had some tiny ants around their training perches, sprinkled it around, left it a few days and vacuumed--no more ants!

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Cool @Macawnutz never heard of chalk working that way b/4. I use White vinegar, that red pepper flakes soaked in you can also add garlic and onion flakes to the soak if you use it outside. the smell you don't want in your house. 2 c vinegar, 2 oz pepper flakes, 1 oz each of garlic and onion flakes. boil the vinegar, add the other stuff, turn to a simmer, simmer for five minutes, remove from heat and cover, leave over night, strain with coffee filters and pour in a spray bottle.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
AMDRO,,,,find the nest, sprinkle it on, they take it down, feed the Queen.. Bam! Queen dies, ants gone! Works on fire ants too! Available at Lowe's and Home Depot.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I hate ants. We use Terro and put a drop off the liquid on cardboard and stash it where kids or parrots won't be. Our parrots aren't flighted though.