• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

To get a caique or to not...

Glutes

Moving in
Hi, I recently introduced myself to the forum very briefly. A bit of background: I have never owned birds before, however I am a reptile hobbyist and I just love all animals. I first discovered my love of parrots when I handled a maturing b&g macaw named Rico. He was super sweet, until it was time to go back in the cage. He climbed on top of his cage and would not come down for anyone. I wandered around the store for a while and then came back. He was within reach. I approached him calmly, but did not make a fast attempt to put him back in. Instead, I watched him for a minute and then asked him to step up. He lunged at me and let out a little screech, but did not move. After some gentle prodding, he finally put a leg on me. I then quickly scooped him up and with my other arm, put it around his body so that he could not get away. He objected, but I got him in the cage. Of course, I probably didn't do everything right, but I felt so proud and absolutely fascinated with this intelligent animal. I am a female minor. I know it's often discouraged to get a parrot while still a teen, however, my situation is different than average. Due to personal struggles, I have no social life whatsoever and I probably never will have much of one. My entire life revolves around animals. In my free time, I am with animals or reading about them. Again, due to personal reasons, my future is somewhat predictable. I will not go to college, I will become a vet assistant, live with my sister, and ultimately we will own our own reptile specialty store. I've already been researching parrots for 6-7 months now, and I've been spending time with them at pet stores every chance I get. Being my typical self, I'm drawn to the more finicky species. At first, I thought I would be best off with a conure, but then I met a caique. I have never met an animal that I am so in love with. I've now met several caiques, and they've all been equally as wonderful. However, I've heard what they can be like once the hormones hit. This really scares me. I do not want to be in tears every night because my pet is so overwhelming. I don't want to regret my decision. I saw this happen to my sister and I don't want it to happen to me. So obviously, I'm being extremely cautious before adopting a bird. I keep trying to tell myself that a caique isn't best for me, but it's just not working. These birds are just so incredible. I haven't found a bird that I can honestly say I like as much or more than a caique. This has been driving me crazy lately, please help?

Last edited by a moderator:

ariana&mia

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ari
Hi and welcome to the forum! I'm also a minor, animal obsessed girl ! I don't have a caique so I can't exactly give you advice on that but I'm sure our resident caique owners will chip in! Good luck with your decision :)

Last edited by a moderator:

~Drini~

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ana
I am the same age as you two posters above me, but be careful because the forum doesn't allow minors to post their age. :)

@Glutes Btw, I am 41Gryphon on the other forum!

I know I already gave you my piece of advice but if you are so interested in a caique, maybe look into adopting an older one that has passed its point of maturity so you know what to expect and you'll be past the hormonal times.

Glutes

Moving in
Thanks for your responses. It's nice to see some younger people having success with these amazing animals. I really am hoping to hear from other caique owners. If anyone has a better alternative to a caique that I can try to fall in love with I'm open to that as well. I keep trying to convince myself on a pryyhura conure, but they just don't do it for me like a caique does.

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
I am the same age as you two posters above me, but be careful because the forum doesn't allow minors to post their age. :)

@Glutes Btw, I am 41Gryphon on the other forum!

I know I already gave you my piece of advice but if you are so interested in a caique, maybe look into adopting an older one that has passed its point of maturity so you know what to expect and you'll be past the hormonal times.
On a similar note you could go to a rescue and get know know a caique or two really well. :) Good luck with your journey!

(Ps- I am of a similar age- a couple years younger though :) )

Animallover03

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
Thanks for your responses. It's nice to see some younger people having success with these amazing animals. I really am hoping to hear from other caique owners. If anyone has a better alternative to a caique that I can try to fall in love with I'm open to that as well. I keep trying to convince myself on a pryyhura conure, but they just don't do it for me like a caique does.
@Tim @saroj12 are caique owners.

I haven't yet brought home my baby GCC- but I first thought that 'tiels were the birds for me. And then I met GCC. I am in love with them, caiques seem to be your bird based on what you have said. :)

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to the forum. I'm in my 30's but have been a hard core animal lover since I was a child. So, I get you. I wish you the best. It's great that you are doing research before you get your bird! The advice people gave about get a sexually mature bird is good because then what you see is what you get.

@Irishj9 is also a cake whisperer :)

Good luck!

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Caiques can be tremendous fun, but DO demand a great deal of attention. ALL THE TIME.

I have had no caique hormonal issues, but I keep mine in pairs, and do not step into the surrogate mate role AT ALL.

I understand the impetus to seek out a rescue, but I would not reccommend it for a first time caique owner. A mature and HIGHLY OPINIONATED caique may be more than you can handle.

I have a gang of caiques at home, and two carers, given that I am away for a few months. One carer, the one that does all the hard work feeding and cleaning, is tolerated by them.

Carer number 2, ( whose main job is to watch carer #1) is universally beloved by the birds and welcomed by them like a hero each time he pops by.

See?, you cant predict who they will like or dislike. After 5 years of handfeeding them treats, they are all on my side of course. Bribery works, but only with YEARS of committment and respect for their personal space and motivations.

Last edited:

Lisidou

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lisa
All we have is just the one (Tucker) as an example of the Caique universe but I can, from experience say WOW. He is delightful, sweet, entertaining, comical, and about a zillion other adjectives! We adore him but I can definitively say that a Caique is a special needs bird that is not for everyone. I imagine many end up in rescue situations because people don't understand what they are getting into when they bring one home. You HAVE to be 129% committed at all times to their happiness and well being. I am convinced that at least ours wouldn't make it 4 minutes if not watched like a hawk when he is outside of his cage. He has no fear of anything and always wants anything and everything in sight. He thinks nothing of just going right into another birds cage and eating their food as an example. Imagine the wildest most active spoiled human toddler that has just learned they can stand, walk and RUN and has hands to grab and taste. Give that child a double shot of espresso and that would be our Tucker. He adores his Mommy, my daughter, but doesn't know a stranger and wants to introduce himself to anyone and everything that ventures into his line of sight. Very chatty and loving. I wouldn't trade him for the world and am so thankful for him blasting his way into our lives. The room he is in has climbing nets, jolly balls, play stands etc and he goes from one thing to the next only stopping to eat and refuel or demand to be with, on top of, chewing on, wrestling with or just chatting with us. He puts himself to bed at sundown every night no problem but if we make the decision to put him to bed, he squeals and fights and just pretty much tantrums in his Yuckie Tuckie way! Love love love him but like most grand parents, I am glad he is the ultimate responsibility of my daughter. I will admit though that I will miss him very much when she finishes grad school and moves out again.
I guess what I am trying to say is this: if anyone wants a Caique you really need to know what you are getting yourself into as they are not at all a "typical" (if there is such a thing) pet bird. They are an enormous commitment. I have a Blue Front Amazon that I have had for 30 years, and 2 Pionus and that's all I can personally compare him to.
I am in awe at JP and others who have multiples......I can only imagine the circus!

Glutes

Moving in
Thanks so much for your replies. I've been told caiques are more like permanent puppies that parrots. he would be the only parrot in the house and so would receive a good deal of attention. I love everything about their busy lifestyle, it really is just the Jekyll/Hyde mood that is stopping me. Do they give warning signs, or would a caique literally just start gnawing on your face?

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
They give HUUUUGE warning signs but in THEIR language, not yours.

The stalking, the walking along head down running their beak in a straight line, the red GLARING eyes, the feathers sticking out at right angles, the fluffy pants, the fake lunges, the standing upright ramrod straight like a human glaring at you....

followed.... if you ignore the above, by the flying attacks and the bloodletting

This is why kids are bad around caiques. They fail to read the myriad warnings. Its the bird which gets the blame

hawkygal

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
The fearful side of me just wants to throw this out there (just because i would hate to see anything bad happen). But I would not put a parrot in a home with snakes. Parrots are terrified by them and anything that remotely looks like them. They are a preditor and birds are prey its a bad combo. I don't know if you have any but if you do i would not recommend aquiring a parrot, but this is just my opinion i am no expert just a fearful animal lover :)

I would say pretty much the same thing for all reptiles with maybe an exception for fully enclosed protected small turtles, but then you are putting the stresses in the opposite direction as the bird could then be preditor to the turtle, sooo again not the best and Your expereiences may differ. Just my two cents as i like to see happy healthy safey birdies :)

Okay stepping down from my fearful soap box now...

Glutes

Moving in
The fearful side of me just wants to throw this out there (just because i would hate to see anything bad happen). But I would not put a parrot in a home with snakes. Parrots are terrified by them and anything that remotely looks like them. They are a preditor and birds are prey its a bad combo. I don't know if you have any but if you do i would not recommend aquiring a parrot, but this is just my opinion i am no expert just a fearful animal lover :)

I would say pretty much the same thing for all reptiles with maybe an exception for fully enclosed protected small turtles, but then you are putting the stresses in the opposite direction as the bird could then be preditor to the turtle, sooo again not the best and Your expereiences may differ. Just my two cents as i like to see happy healthy safey birdies :)

Okay stepping down from my fearful soap box now...
This is rediculous. A parrot of any size other than budgie size is far too large for my ball python. Even a budgie is more likely to kill my snake than the other way around. I'm sorry if I sound rude, but I really cannot stand discrimination against reptiles. And why are turtles always thought to be safer? Those guys pose a bigger threat to a bird than my snake! Also, it's not like my reptiles are just free to roam the house. They are all in locked cages for their own safety. I'm sorry,but if you dislike reptiles you are not an animal lover. Maybe you love birds, but clearly you don't love all animals. This angers me when people think snakes are evil, threatening creatures. You know how my snake defends himself? He curls up in a ball and hides. So scary and threatening. His head is twice the size of my thumb. Please research before criticizing a beautiful, harmless creature.

AYA

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gab
Animals are obviously wary of other animals, but they don't magically know when something is a predator when they've never come across the other animal in their life.

And if reptiles are so bad, then surely dogs, cats, and rodents are just as bad. Why, for example, a cat would be 'worse' than any snake due to their penchant for hunting for the fun of it despite being cared for and fed.

But back to the topic at hand :)

I am also interested in someday getting a caique, and while my bubble was initially burst by the whole 'demon mode' thing, I continued to research them and have decided that, after reading all that I could find and seeing the success stories of both paired and singular adult caiques (which are trickier to find than the 'my baby caique is the best' stories, but they're there and they're great) as well as trying to see if there was anything in common with the negative experiences, I decided that they still are the bird for me.

I have no real experience with these wonderful birds to give you, just that if you really feel that this is the bird for you, then don't be afraid to stick with it-- because that's the kind of person that caiques seem to need :)

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Wow, this thread took a weird turn, didn't it. I agree about maybe volunteering at a rescue for a while to gain some experience as to what the responsibility would be to have a Caique. Although I love birds I also love large breed dogs, however, I would not be a good care taker of one. I realize that about myself so any time I am tempted I talk myself into reality....its not them....its me. Daily walks, cleaning up large amounts of poo in my yard is not something I am willing to commit to doing. A commitment is a commitment and its not to be taken lightly. I guess I love them enough to love them from afar. So, before you make a commitment to a Caique, its only fair to the bird to see if its truly something that you not only love...but love enough to let go of the idea if you know you aren't the "one" for the bird. Good luck

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Mature caiques can be very challenging pets and in my experience, they are completely different animals than my three conures. My male is extremely demanding. He went through a period for years of inflicting terrible bloody bites. He is much louder than my nanday conure. Zeek takes more time and attention than my other three parrots combined. Owning Zeek is like having a two year old - he requires a lot of one on one attn. He also needs constant stimulation. He wants me to play with him, groom him, cuddle him, hold him, constantly. If he is not out of the cage and with me when I am home, he will become extremely angry and aggressive.

If you buy a caique, be aware than after he/she hits maturity at 3-4 yrs., your cute baby may change into a temperamental adult. It makes sense when you think about what he should be doing as an adult - flying free through the woods and jungles, navigating obstacles, hunting for food, raising babies, bonding with his flock and family members..in essence a free animal with free will. Instead, he is a bored single parrot, left for hours in a small cage, bounded by walls and a ceiling, with absolutely no mental stimulation (no amount of toys can replace the wild). These birds MUST be out of the cage several hours a day.

They require a lot of toys and LARGE cages. My caique has a 48" $3000 stainless steel cage. He also has a $300 avian adventures cage to eat and play on in the dining area and he has a night cage in the bedroom. You do not need to spend $3000 on a cage, but you should look for the LARGEST cage appropriate for a caique. If you get a caique, be prepared that they can be loud (nonstop incessant loud beeps -like the smoke alarm going off-for hours, as well as screams). In maturity they can become very nasty biters, and they require an inordinate amount of time and attn. You will also need transportation and funds for vet care.

About the snakes - I am sure you can safely keep a snake and a parrot, but I would make sure the snake is in a secure enclosure. And yes - a snake can go after a parrot. My friend owns a meyers parrot. He heard a scream in the middle of the night. His son's snake had pushed the lid off the enclosure and had somehow squeezed through the parrots cage bars. The parrot's head and upper body were IN the snakes mouth. He managed to free the bird, which was covered in snake saliva. They got rid of the snake the next day.

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
A local avairy owner told me his snake and parrot story. A snake got through the netting into the birds breeding area and swallowed 4 live chicks but could not escape back the way it came because its stomach was too distended to get through the gap.

He found it trapped in the netting and hacked off its head

good riddance

poor birdies....

Glutes

Moving in
Thank you to those who have given me advice on a caique. I've actually become a mother to an abandoned house sparrow, so I'm putting off my dream of a caique for now.

Seriously with the snake hate. You people do know that BIRDS EAT SNAKES in the wild, right? I could understand being cautious with the larger snakes like boa constrictors, retics, burms, etc., but my little 3 foot ball python with a head the size of my thumb really couldn't get down anything bigger than a standard budgie. Even a budgie would probably kill my snake before the snake could kill the bird. I know you guys probably think snakes are horrible, evil monsters, but actually they are so stupid that they can't even recognize a human as anything more than a warm tree. If the snakes enclosure is not even secure enough to hold the snake in, then the owners likely didnt know how to properly care for a snake. Because all good snake owners know that if there is a gap, no matter how small, the snake will escape. Chicks are a delicacy for most snakes. It was likely a wild snake who was hunting, and who would give up their most prized meal? Killing the animal is just plain cruel though. The snake didn't know those chicks were precious to someone, heck the snake can't even begin to understand that concept. It was food, he ate. Dogs, cats, frogs, snakes, hamsters, birds, and whatever other animal do not get along, period. Keep the animals separate and there is noproblems. Probably 98% of snake "horror stories" are caused by inexperienced, stupid people. So please stop shaming an animal just because it doesn't have fur or feathers. Or maybe you don't like them because of what they eat. Well I have news for you: parrots kill other birds, snakes, rodents, and any other tasty creature they can find in the wild. Now please tell me: what is the difference?

~Drini~

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ana
This is a parrot forum so 99% of the people here are bird people, most of us are more concerned with birds' well being than anything else, which is important to understand. Nobody said anything about fur/feathers, just advice to keep the animals securely separate which is clear you already know. :)

Parrots are not carnivores nor predators, they will not hunt other birds/snakes/rodents for their need to eat.

Best of luck with your house sparrow baby! I've heard that they make loving pets when raised by people.

Glutes

Moving in
A local avairy owner told me his snake and parrot story. A snake got through the netting into the birds breeding area and swallowed 4 live chicks but could not escape back the way it came because its stomach was too distended to get through the gap.

He found it trapped in the netting and hacked off its head

good riddance

poor birdies....
This really really bothers me. If a dog or a cat would have eaten the chicks, it would have merely been told off. Yet people don't think twice about chopping a snakes head off. Did this person get charged for animal abuse?