• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is this a brown head?

amy burke

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Found this bird on Craigslist today. Is this a brown head? I have contacted the seller but have not heard back

Attachments

amy burke

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
oh good grief...his response was it is a percyflies parrot and that they have the paperwork. I asked poicephalus? They said your spelling looks better than ours. OH GEEZE. They are selling it on cl for the step mother. I am getting more info. I am getting a red belly baby in a few weeks...do I need a brown head too??? Apparently he is an awesome bird but doesn't like the step mother.

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Looks like a brown-head to me. Percyflies....LOL.
Might be nice to have two Pois if you think you can devote enough attention to both.

Last edited:

amy burke

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
he has a teeny cage and apparently doesn't like the step mother, but does like select other people.

Applebutter

Jogging around the block
This is his cage
Ohhh! My! Way too small for that bird. I don't know but I think I would start off with one newbie poi and wait awhile before you acquire another since you've never had a poi before. With that said, before my boys I've never had a poi before either and got them both at the same time. I couldn't leave the other behind for good or for ill since they were both owned by the same person. It's all in what you think you can handle and can afford.

amy burke

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
I am wondering if they got this bird from my aviary as bh are not commonly seen. I am sticking to one for now. A baby needs a lot and the fact that the bh hates women is something I can't take in right now. Avalon would take him back but they are asking 800$ for him, his "cage" and a stand.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You could check with Avalon to find out if the brown-head came from their aviary. Hopefully someone will give the bh a wonderful home.

Aaron

Strolling the yard
Definitely a brown head. They are great birds but 800 is high. Is the avalon aviary a rescue? Most rescues require someone who adopts a bird to bring it back and not rehome it.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I say the same. 100% a African Brown headed. They really are the sweetest so if you want another Poi get this one, they are not that common either.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Definitely a brown head. They are great birds but 800 is high. Is the avalon aviary a rescue? Most rescues require someone who adopts a bird to bring it back and not rehome it.
Avalon Aviary breeds birds.

amy burke

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Avalon is a MAP certified aviary, but she does take back some of her birds that are not wanted or ones that she rescued from bad breeding programs. Susanne is amazing. She has a few birds that people put on consignment there and then the people disappeared. She has two that were donated with injuries and she takes care of them. She has a microscopic finch that the lady gave up because she couldn't stand the beeping noise it makes. I listened and it is the sweetest little noise. She has a bald grey who is tiny...who she rescued from a bad situation and is now getting vet care for it. She has the biggest heart for every kind of bird from the teeniest of finches to the largest of parrot. I love her!

Last edited:

Applebutter

Jogging around the block
Brown heads seem like nice gentle birds but they are not good with small children according to what I've read but is any poi?? Btw: I don't have small children but I believe OP does.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Did you decide to check out the brown head or are you sticking with the red-belly?

amy burke

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Sticking with the red belly I think...but Susanne said she still has the cape she rescued who plucked his belly. Sigh.... I would snatch him up but everything I got is more for a red belly sized bird

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's a hard choice but if you have interacted with the red-belly and he or she likes you then maybe best to stick with that. If still has the Cape a few weeks or months from when you get the r-b then maybe you can consider that.

Applebutter

Jogging around the block
The Red belly seemed to really like you from your photos :)

amy burke

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
yes I agree ladies. I can't go visit this week, I have to go to Albuquerque tomorrow to meet my husbands boss. They are prepping to transfer him again, hopefully to Denver, not Dallas. We have never lived in the same state....so cross your fingers he gets the Denver facility! I will go up a week from Wednesday. I hope the red belly baby doesn't forget me :(. I will probably start going up and visiting the cape at the aviary and see how it goes. But yes, I am still planning on the red belly. She has had that cape for awhile so if he is still available in a few months and all is going well, He may be next to join my family....

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hope you have a safe trip.
Sorry you can't go to visit the red-belly this week. Did you choose one yet and did you put a deposit down on him/her?

amy burke

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
The red belly is paid in full :) Told her I would visit again next wednesday and see if I can decide for sure that day. I have the second pick of the clutch, and first pick wants a girl. So there is one male and one female to choose between, tho I am not sure which female they have picked if they have already. The hand feeder said one of the females has been difficult to work with for a long time. We will see.