• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New baby!!!!

lower027

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brittany
I just adopted a rehome Quaker Parrot. It's blue! Pictures coming soon hopefully! Now then, what do I do? Should I interact with him/her? (Still needs to get DNA sexed). Or should I let him/her be for a few days?

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Congrats!

Have you scheduled an AV wellness visit yet...always an important thing to do. Give your new addition a nice quiet area to settle in with you. You can sit with him/her and talk...slow movements around him/her. It's so important for the newbie to feel comfortable and safe the first few days they're with you.

Does he/she have a name?

Can't wait to see pics! :)

lower027

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brittany
Congrats!

Have you scheduled an AV wellness visit yet...always an important thing to do. Give your new addition a nice quiet area to settle in with you. You can sit with him/her and talk...slow movements around him/her. It's so important for the newbie to feel comfortable and safe the first few days they're with you.

Does he/she have a name?

Can't wait to see pics! :)
Vets are closed today, but tomorrow, I'm gonna make an appointment. No name yet! I'm waiting til he/she is sexed to give a name lol. I wanna keep it to 2 syllables so if can say his/her name easily. I work today so should I keep him/her in my room when I'm gone? Our Yorkie is going nutso....

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
. I work today so should I keep him/her in my room when I'm gone? Our Yorkie is going nutso....
It would probably be best to keep him/her in your room, away from the dog...an upset dog could upset the bird...

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Congrats! I would definitely put him in a quiet place away from your Yorkie while you are gone. Maybe leave the radio on for him. If he seems super nervous you can cover his cage on three sides leaving the front uncovered until he relaxes some.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:congrats5: On your new bird, can't wait for the pictures!

lower027

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brittany
He's playing with his toys and vocalizing quite a bit. Does that mean he's relaxing more?

noice

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Anna
That should mean he's relaxing, anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

There's some debate on what to do when a bird comes home for the first time, but I would just go with the "leave them alone" method. Leave them in their cage for a few days, then open the door and leave it until he comes out willingly. How tame is he?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
He's very cute! I think it depends on how comfortable he seems and if he is hand tame. He sounds fairly comfortable, so it might not take him long to want to come out and be with you. Did you interact with him before you purchased him? Talking to him and giving him a lot of treats through the cage bars is a good way to start building trust.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Congrats on the cutie pie.

lower027

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brittany
Also props to those who know who Varric is ;)

lower027

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brittany
So actually I changed my mind and decided to just name my new baby Corrin. :) It's a unisex name so it works either way. Still I want the bird sexed so I know if there is a chance it will become eggbound.

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Corrin is adorable! Congrats!
I wish you many great years with him/her. :)

Barnaby Rose

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Barnaby
That's an awesome name and congrats in I your adoption!
It's probably best to let him be for a few days to acclimate to his surroundings and become comfortable with you and your family.. If it were me, I might sit in the room with him and just open his cage, not touch him or lure him or anything, just open it up and sit with him and see what happens - you never know, he may crawl right up and out and then you have your answer;) Emma wanted to be with us every second she could be, from the very first day we brought her home. Our little conure however took almost a month before becoming all the way comfortable with us outside of his cage. Each bird is different but man is it exciting getting to know a new 'kid', let everyone know how it all goes for sure

lower027

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brittany
That's an awesome name and congrats in I your adoption!
It's probably best to let him be for a few days to acclimate to his surroundings and become comfortable with you and your family.. If it were me, I might sit in the room with him and just open his cage, not touch him or lure him or anything, just open it up and sit with him and see what happens - you never know, he may crawl right up and out and then you have your answer;) Emma wanted to be with us every second she could be, from the very first day we brought her home. Our little conure however took almost a month before becoming all the way comfortable with us outside of his cage. Each bird is different but man is it exciting getting to know a new 'kid', let everyone know how it all goes for sure
Shockingly, Corrin did crawl out of his/her cage on it's own! I was so surprised that I froze in place to not startle him/her.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Varric as in Dragon Age? :) Corrin is good though!

I tend to let the bird tell me what they want. My first quaker wanted to be out and on me immediately. My second wanted to be locked in his cage for a few days before being set free. It takes a bit to get there but you'll start understanding his wants and needs soon enough :)