• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

antique cages?

Newbie GCC

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Does anyone collect antique or vintage cages?
I have come across an old brass cage in an antique store from Hendryx. The owner wanted $125 for it and I have talked him down to $60, but did not buy it just yet. It has been in the store for a long time and I do not think it will go anywhere while I do some research.

20160723_130921.jpg

It is so very dusty, but the bottom tray does say Hendryx across it. I have been looking for a cage to make a lamp with for months. This is the perfect size and that is what drew my interest. But after researching THIS..........
20160723_130912.jpg

I find out that the company went out of business in the 1960's and the date on the cage is actually from the 1870's!! I cannot modify a cage that is truly an antique, but will be going back to buy it tomorrow during my lunch hour.
I got the information from a collector I found online and emailed her the above pictures. She wants more pictures of the sides where the feeders should go to get a better date and value on it. I am excited about this find and wish the store was open today so I could go get it now!!

Rolanda

What a FIND! Could you not turn it into a lamp but not destroy the antique cage? I don't know what you were going to do to it but maybe make the changes without affecting the lamp. For instance, I changed the colors in my living room and didn't want to get rid of my floor lamp so I removed the existing material from the shade and attached some with the new color with thread (stitched it to the 'bones' of the bamboo shade). That way it didn't destroy anything on the actual lamp but changed he look for my needs. I could take the material off and change it over & over but not hurt the lamp at all.:dance4:

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
I may still turn it into lamp. Will have to think of how best to do it without altering the cage. Wish I could find the original milk glass feeders and an original stand to go with it! How awesome would that be?!?!?!

Rolanda

You may be able to find the accessories! I've seen stands... wouldn't know if they are the exact one for your cage but try Ebay & Graigs List. I've also seen antique cages WITH their milk glass feeders. You may be buying a cheap cage just for the feeders, LOL.
It doesn't seem like it's bee too hard. Your wiring would just follow the wiring of the cage, and the bulb could just hang inside. There are a LOT of examples online, none of which look like they would require destroying the cage.
What an Awesome project! I LOVE re-purposing items. I have done quite a few things, usually tables.
I'm so excited for you!

Rolanda

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
I need to do a little more searching to find which ones specifically came with this cage. Thanks for the link! It will help narrow things down when I find the exact year of this cage!

Rolanda

There are lots of parts & stands on Ebay.:) Etsy is a good source too. I have only bought one thing off of someone on Craig's List but I think you have a higher chance of finding a better price as frequently people are just getting rid of things and haven't done as much research into the values.

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
What a beautiful stand! Love it! I am sure shipping on that would be about as much as the cage and stand, though.

Percy&Ivan

Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
Not a cage but......
At an antique mall, I saw a old desk when I have an extra 200bhcks it's mine!!!

Rolanda

Not a cage but......
At an antique mall, I saw a old desk when I have an extra 200bhcks it's mine!!!

I SOOOO know what you mean! I bought a pair of Mid Century chairs from a friend (they were clearing things out after her mother passed) and I have no real use for them but I LOVE them! I fall in love with well made items from years long past. Though Mid Century is only mid 30's to mid 60's. I LOVE things made in the Victorian Era and Art Deco period.
I was almost tempted to start looking for a Bird Cage when I saw this Post! LOL:confused::omg:

Percy&Ivan

Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
And I like this ne became people scratched their named and drew on it, people would think that the price would go down but I would pay more for it that way! More character!

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Transmission went out on Hubs truck and we had to make sure we had $ available to pay for the repairs. That delayed the purchase of the cage, but only by a few days and I have it now! I also found a pair of the original Hendrix feeders and a black pair that fit the cage and my stand! I had missed them the first time as they were in a separate display case and nowhere near the cage itself. I am excited to finally get it made into a lamp! I need to go buy the LED lights and things and a riser for the stand I have for it. More pictures to follow when I get it all done!
Inside bottom tray of cage:
20160731_152631.jpg

I do not believe these are Hendryx feeders, but they match the stand and fit the cage so I bought them!
20160731_152432.jpg

The bottom side of tray:
20160731_152722.jpg

Original Hendryx feeders! Not sure if they are original to this cage, but they fit.
20160731_152502.jpg

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Just have to find the light for the inside now. Thinking LED Christmas style somehow so the cage itself is not modified. Suggestions welcome! 20160731_203145.jpg 20160731_203154.jpg

Percy&Ivan

Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
yo could work some christmas lighta in there and it would look like this

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather