• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Territorial Nature

lower027

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brittany
I know its natural for Quakers. How do you work around it?

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
I'm not very familiar with Quakers, but I do have an Amazon who gets territorial at times, especially when he is hormonal (never been sexed, we just call him "he"). Max tends to be territorial about his cage. When he is calm, I move him from his cage to his play stand and work with him there, in a different room from his cage. It sometimes helps to take him to a room he isn't overly familiar with, so the only thing he really "knows" is me. When Max gets super territorial, or is just in a bad mood, I either mist him or give him a shower. Showers improve his moods tremendously, 100 percent of the time. Wish I could be more help. Good luck.

Brigidt36

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
I meant to ask what is your bird territorial over? His cage? His favorite toy? His food/water? My little GCC got very territorial over his Hidey Hut. I finally had to take it out of the cage because guarding it turned him into a little green demon.

lower027

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brittany
I meant to ask what is your bird territorial over? His cage? His favorite toy? His food/water? My little GCC got very territorial over his Hidey Hut. I finally had to take it out of the cage because guarding it turned him into a little green demon.
Oh I don't have a bird yet. I just saw one up for rehoming that I thought I'd adopt if my parents let me. I heard it's usually over the cage though

Brigidt36

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
The cage is a biggie.

Jaguar

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
Cage and food especially. If I come over to his cage for any reason other than to give him food, or if I linger too long after I drop off said food, he will aggressively lunge and posture at me.

We haven't come to a compromise yet. I towel him and put him in a spare cage if I have to deep clean. I try to avoid it, but it needs done. Eventually I hope he'll start coming out willingly for food/treats, but right now he'd be happy to never leave his cage.

If he does manage to sneak or get spooked out of his cage, he turns into a very willing scaredy bird. He'll step up on my bare wrist so I can take him back to his cage. I hope that's a sign he'll be a nice boy once he decides coming out of the cage isn't torture, but we'll see :)

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
My relationship with Emmie CAG is long and rocky. He is extremely territorial of his cage as well as the fact he is just about completely cage-bound due to insecurity. He and I have rules. If he tries to bite when I feed him, he doesn't get his food until he behaves. I always tell him when I am going to clean his cage and if he tries to bite or attacks, I come back later and try again. I do not fight with him at all or allow him a drama award if he does bite me (at least once a month). We have an agreement and he pretty much follows the letter of the agreement, but you have to set limits and stand by them.

cnyguy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gary
Ralph is protective of his food dish. He really doesn't like it when I have to handle it. I can touch anything else in his cage and it doesn't bother him at all. But hands off my food dish! That's about the only time he'll ever bite, other than nipping playfully. I have to remind him that if I don't touch the dish, he doesn't eat, and that seems to convince him that he should let me take the dish out and put it back in.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Both of my quakers are very cage aggressive and don't step up. Target training is very important for us. They usually let me clean their cages as long as they aren't in it, but Jingo I occasionally have to put in another room or travel carrier to get him to cooperate. They do like having a clean cage though so let me do my thing ;)

lower027

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brittany
Thank you everyone for your input! I know it's a longshot for my parents to let me get a bird, but I'm gonna go try to see the little one anyway and bring my parents along.

Last edited:

lower027

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brittany
Ralph is protective of his food dish. He really doesn't like it when I have to handle it. I can touch anything else in his cage and it doesn't bother him at all. But hands off my food dish! That's about the only time he'll ever bite, other than nipping playfully. I have to remind him that if I don't touch the dish, he doesn't eat, and that seems to convince him that he should let me take the dish out and put it back in.
So your saying I shouldn't keep a full food dish in there all the time then? By giving it when my bird behaves, will that help with aggressive behavior?

cnyguy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gary
I wouldn't really recommend withholding food to try to curb aggressive behavior. Ralph has pellets available at all times, and gets fresh vegetables and other things twice a day, and a bit of safflower seed mix once daily. Food can be used as a reward for good behavior-- offering a favorite treat can be a good training reward. I've found that if I let Ralph come out and sit on top of his cage before I try to take his food dish out to provide fresh food, he will just sit and watch me and won't try to bite.

lower027

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brittany
I wouldn't really recommend withholding food to try to curb aggressive behavior. Ralph has pellets available at all times, and gets fresh vegetables and other things twice a day, and a bit of safflower seed mix once daily. Food can be used as a reward for good behavior-- offering a favorite treat can be a good training reward. I've found that if I let Ralph come out and sit on top of his cage before I try to take his food dish out to provide fresh food, he will just sit and watch me and won't try to bite.
Ok got it

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Quakers resource guard, and withholding food won't help that behavior ;)

I feed fresh foods away from the cage, and while they are snacking, I switch out their water and pellets :) the easiest way to deal with aggressive behavior is to avoid triggering it!

lower027

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brittany
Quakers resource guard, and withholding food won't help that behavior ;)

I feed fresh foods away from the cage, and while they are snacking, I switch out their water and pellets :) the easiest way to deal with aggressive behavior is to avoid triggering it!
Ah that makes more sense than! I seem to have a hard time coaxing Corrin out though, even with a fresh strawberry.

Jaguar

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
Ah that makes more sense than! I seem to have a hard time coaxing Corrin out though, even with a fresh strawberry.
9 months and I can't get Puffy out either. Patience and persistence... :)