• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pellet question

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
My vet told me I am on the right track so far getting my seed junky off seeds and on to a better diet with sprouts and the nutri-berries which she does love. He told me to start getting her on a pellet which brands/type would be best for a lovie

@LunaLovebird and @fluffypoptarts if you have any suggestions I am at your mercy :rolleyes:

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I get them finch-sized fruity pellets. It's all they'll try or make an effort to eat.

SweetAmber

Walking the driveway
Zupreem fruit extra small is what I use to get birds started, then switch to roudybush crumbles. The smaller sizes seem to be wasted less.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I agree that if they won't touch a natural colored pellets (Zupreem Natural, Roudybush, or Harrison's are my top choices), then using Zupreem fruity is a good gateway pellet. If they still refuse a natural colored pellet, then Higgins inTune is what I convert them to :)

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
Thank you all for the advice. I will keep you all posted on how it goes. Wish me luck hopefully it works out :roflmao:

Moshimaru

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Good luck! Some birds are easy to switch to pellets, while others did in their heels and go kicking and screaming lol.

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
They gave the screaming part down in spades lol right now. I'm going to petsmart this morning to get some pellets and see what the have.

Wilder

Walking the driveway
Petsmart, at least where I am, has a dismal selection of bird stuff. It's disappointing, but I imagine most people buying food from them are either in a pinch for a bigger bird or are just grabbing some seed for their budgies. All they have for pellets here is Zupreem fruity or Lafeber. I wish they'd offer better foods.

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
The one by my house actually has 6 different kinds of pellets for smaller birds that I have seen when I was there. I have seen 5 different kinds of the nutri-berries there as well and my fids like the fruit one best right now. I am thinking of getting a bag of a different kind for them to try and see if they like it. I know they have Zupreem and I did see Roudy when I was there.