• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby red belly

amy burke

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
I'm going up again this week, and will see how it goes. It would be nice to know which of the two females he first pick has chosen...if she has picked the sweeter of the two females I will definitely pick the boy...

Applebutter

Jogging around the block
@Applebutter Didn't know you had 2 red-bellies. Maybe I missed that somewhere. Could you post a photo of Mickey and, btw, how is Doobie doing?

@amy burke Just go with your "gut" regarding the birds. That male is already interacting with you and he seems very sweet. If you don't find yourself falling for the female and you like the male, then go with that choice. It's hard to predict whether or not a bird will be nippy. You just do the best you can to work with them and raise them in a positive and loving environment.
I have three RBs. I've posted a photo of Molly on this forum sometime back.

Doobie is doing much better and likes the taste of the Clavamox better than the fruited up Baytril, he's back to dancing and laughing at his own jokes...lol

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Applebutter Thanks for posting the photo. He and Doobie are both very handsome. Glad that Doobie is better. Forgot about Molly. I did comment about her when you posted about her and Doobie several months ago.

@amy burke Get the male and the female. :D ;)

Applebutter

Jogging around the block
Here's is an updated photo of Molly. She is starting to look more girlish and losing the orange. I guess they don't lose it all though.

image.jpeg

Applebutter

Jogging around the block
I think you should go with the bird that picks you or you might regret your decision later on. JMHO

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Here's is an updated photo of Molly. She is starting to look more girlish and losing the orange. I guess they don't lose it all though.

View attachment 229239
Depends on the bird. Some of mine retained some orange, some lost it all and then sometimes as they aged they got some orange back. Her coloring is very pretty. Find the with the boys, too, the coloring changes as they get older and sometimes they get patches of orange in different areas other than the abdomen/breast.

amy burke

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
true..of my past birds (pionus, amazon and quaker) the first two picked me...even though i went there for a jardine's The quaker didn't and i regret getting him. He was a vulture. The fact that he was so affectionate with me and flew over to see me means a lot. The snuggles were awesome. Though I know Red bellies are not known to be cuddle monsters... The girls flew up to their boingy in the corner and never came down.

Applebutter

Jogging around the block
Depends on the bird. Some of mine retained some orange, some lost it all and then sometimes as they aged they got some orange back. Her coloring is very pretty. Find the with the boys, too, the coloring changes as they get older and sometimes they get patches of orange in different areas other than the abdomen/breast.
That's interesting! I don't know the ages of the boys, they're older and I haven't noticed a feather change with them. Mickey looks older than Doobie does.

Applebutter

Jogging around the block
true..of my past birds (pionus, amazon and quaker) the first two picked me...even though i went there for a jardine's The quaker didn't and i regret getting him. He was a vulture. The fact that he was so affectionate with me and flew over to see me means a lot. The snuggles were awesome. Though I know Red bellies are not known to be cuddle monsters... The girls flew up to their boingy in the corner and never came down.
They're extremely intelligent as well. I would trust their judgment as to who they prefer as their people.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My red-bellies were all cuddly as babies. Sophie is still very cuddly and she would be fine with being held and carried around the house all day. I can pet my boys but they are definitely not as cuddly when compared to Sophie. Claudé not as cuddly as Sophie and may or may not nip/bite.
They were all raised similarly for the most part although I know I didn't spend as much time with the clutch of 3 boys (Roswell, SETI and Zack) when I was handfeeding and then weaning them because I was ill and then once they were weaned their older sister (previous clutch) got very sick and she got most of the attention.

I'll see if I can find some photos to show the changes in coloring. It was interesting that when SETI's feathers started to grow back in (after being "removed" during his fight with Roswell) he got a few orange ones above his cere. Before that they were all grey.

Last edited: