• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dog crate into bird cage?

Odin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chantal
I am wondering if anyone can comment on making a large dog kennel into a bird cage? My budgies are needing bigger home, and I read online you can mesh a dog crate then use it as a bird cage. Thoughts ?

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
:bump8: I have wondered the same thing, but I would worry about what the metal is made of. Be sure to check into it if you do end up doing this. :)

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Many dog crates are galvanized (zinc coated) but some are powdercoated and would be safe - in fact, many people use small dog crates as travel cages for larger birds.
But, realistically, putting mesh over a dog crate to hold small birds would not work out well. It would look unattractive, be harder to clean, and there would still be the larger gaps between the door and the cage sides that you couldn't really cover with the mesh.
I think you would be better off buying a cage meant for birds.
Prevue makes a small flight cage that you should be able to get for under $100.

Jaguar

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
Hardware cloth is galvanized steel, meaning it's been dipped in zinc to prevent rust. Zinc is a heavy metal, very toxic in high amounts. Birds that climb with their beaks may ingest the zinc on the coating. Some claim GAW (galvanized after weld) or weathered hardware cloth is safe... but this leads to the next point. Cages have to be cleaned. Birds love to bath. It WILL rust eventually - much sooner if it's weathered.

Couple other points... hardware cloth is incredibly sharp and difficult to work with. You'll scratch and cut the crap out of yourself. It might even cut your birds if you aren't careful to take off sharp bits. It's also not rigid and would need to be strapped to the crate with extreme care as to not leave loose spots a bird could fit a head or feet.

Also... a lot of dog crates are vinyl coated. Vinyl coating is much easier for a curious parrot beak to flake off... and possibly ingest.

Overall you're probably going to end up with scratched up arms, a dangerous cage that you hate, and wasted time/money/energy. I wouldn't bother...

This was a Ferret Nation cage that I wrapped in hardware cloth for my rats. It worked just fine for them, but the design of the cage was much more accommodating for the mesh, and much less dangerous. Regardless, it started to rust after about a year, even though I meticulously dried it after every cleaning.

Last edited:

Odin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chantal
Thank you everyone, I am desprete to get them a larger home :( They are all three in this beige cage now. I hate it. Is it torture for them to be in a small space like this?

budgies.jpg

CaliEckies

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I use a Great dane crate when I have special needs birds. It lets them climb and have lots of horizontal room with limited vertical space to fall far.

Last edited:

AzaleaMist

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
Oh my goodness, I can see wanting to get them a new cage, but it certainly isn't torture. What are the measurements?

Jaguar

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
I use a Great dane crate when I have special needs birds. It lets them climb and have lots of horizontal room with limited vertical space to fall far.
Works fine for big birds, but most dog crates are well over 1" spacing. A budgie would just walk right out

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
How much space do you have for s cage? There are some really nice fairly inexpensive flight cages out there

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What is your budget for a new cage? I'm sure we can find something :)

SweetAmber

Walking the driveway
Couple other points... hardware cloth is incredibly sharp and difficult to work with. You'll scratch and cut the crap out of yourself. It might even cut your birds if you aren't careful to take off sharp bits.

A-freaking-men

I am a farmer, it's what I do. Mostly small animals such as chickens, guinea fowl, goats, pigs, rabbits.. I refuse to use hardware cloth. It's a bloody nightmare. Literally.