• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Birdie bread bad?

alicat

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Ali
Sorry I couldn't find the controversial topic section, and I'm not sure if this would even go there!

I'm part of a parrot group on facebook and things got a little heated this morning when I saw the administrator stating that bird bread is bad, and to never feed it to your birds. Her response was that "a healthy bird won't starve. Baking the vegetables in the bread gets rid of its nutritional value and they then fill up on the bread and don't get the nutrients they need." She also mentioned that the jiffy muffin mix has animal lard, which is an understandable concern. My thought is it allows us to add a wide variety of foods to our fids diet that they normally may not eat

Just wanted to get everyone's opinions on this!

Eta; I know a lot of people use oats and pellets as a base. When I said this she stayed by the fact that it's just "extra calories" and distracts from their "real food".

Last edited:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I have an excellent birdie bread recipe here somewhere, if you do a search. It is not hard, and worth it to make it from all natural ingredients. Jiffy mix is not good. It has aluminum based baking powder, salt, sugar, and yes also bad oils in it. Many veggies like sweet potato and carrot should be cooked for birds anyway. I find it's a good way to get some of the things you would like your bird to eat, but maybe don't into them.

Odin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chantal
I made my own with all natural ingredients. I don't think there is anything wrong with this at all.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
As long as you're using good ingredients, I see nothing wrong with it. I wouldn't use Jiffy Mix either or enriched white flour, etc but there are a lot of other healthy things you can use. I wouldn't feed it as my bird's main diet but I think as part of a bird's diet it's okay.

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
It's like anything else. Some Birdie breads probably are devoid of nutrients while others are loaded with them. I make birdie bread every other week with anywhere from 20-30 organic ingredients.

Last edited:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
The only thing wrong with Jiffy Mix is that it has added sugar, but it sure as heck won't kill your bird if you are in a hurry. Some folks get way too wound up in their food fetishes. Bird bread is fine - I use several spciality flours, pellets, vegetables, dried fruit, RPO , ground Flax and fruit juice in mine.

PS - I'm not an organic fan and use what is available. There are numerous studies that proved that people who ate organic food for 15 years are no more healthy than those who didn't.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Another bad facemob group.

alicat

Real Name
Ali
Like everything else, it's fine in moderation. Be wary of power tripping Facebook admins. lol
I'm done with Facebook groups I'll just stick with the avenue haha! I'm getting lots and lots of nasty messages now for calling her pretentious. Whoops