• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mousebird talk

snada

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sarah
It is hard to tell when they are very young but when my Mousebirds were about 4 months old I could tell by feeling their pubic bone. Males are very close together and females very wide apart. Also behavior as well. I have 2 males and one of my males Click dose the mouse bird jump on his perch to attract the females. Coco my other male just wants to bite the crap out of me all the time. Both my females Tweety and Chicken lay eggs every month, they also bite my husband (i think this must be some sort of mating thing Mousebirds do). Tweety lays 4 eggs about every 6 weeks and she then sits on them for a couple of weeks. Chicken lays her eggs and dosent bother with them.

The vet can also do a blood test to see if they are a boy or girl.

I have 4 Speckle Mousebird and each one of them have very different personalities.

My 2 males are very strongly bonded and will not do anything without the other. My females are also close but not like the males, they sit together all day preening each other if Tweety isn't sitting on eggs.

I love the way they share food among each other. If Tweety is out with me and I give her a raspberry she will eat a little, fly back to the cage then share the raspberry with the other 3. :loveshower:

Lodah

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I love the way they share food among each other. If Tweety is out with me and I give her a raspberry she will eat a little, fly back to the cage then share the raspberry with the other 3.
That is so sweet! Loved it! :fairy:

Alet

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Alet
My mousebird I found under tree very small. With me about 6 months. A gift from God. ! When out of cage he will sit on my shoulder and kiss me on my neck and cheek and play with me. Very jealouse and wants all the attention. When phone rings and I speak to somebody he will make a noise and try to come between me and phone.
Bath every day and then come and dry himself on my clothes. Love to be scratched and then he puffs up. And when I take my hand away he will go to my hand for more.
He eats pronutro every morning and loves banana grapes and apples.
If I work with needle and wool he will sit on myhand and pull the wool out of needle.
He will fly all around an come and sit on my head. I am so blessed with this little bird.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
He (or she) is really cute. :)

Dragonseer

Walking the driveway
Every Mousebird shown here is absolutely adorable. :xflove:

I'm in the States and, ironically enough, have a mousebird breeder about a 1-hour drive from my home. There's a part of me seriously considering a Mousebird (vs. other species on my wish list). I absolutely love how affectionate hand-tame Mousebirds are and appreciate that they enjoy head rubs from their caretakers.

Alet

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Alet
My little mousebird is so loveable. Wil sit next to my face and just nibble me and kiss me all over my cheek. Very jealouse of the cellphone. When it rings and I speak to somebody he will get between me and the phone and make a noise. He really wants lots of attention and when I leave the room he will fly and sit on my head. My grand child visited me last week and she wanted pumkin, this little bird decided he wants to taste and loves it so much it's on the menu everyday.

Dragonseer

Walking the driveway
My little mousebird is so loveable. Wil sit next to my face and just nibble me and kiss me all over my cheek. Very jealouse of the cellphone. When it rings and I speak to somebody he will get between me and the phone and make a noise. He really wants lots of attention and when I leave the room he will fly and sit on my head. My grand child visited me last week and she wanted pumkin, this little bird decided he wants to taste and loves it so much it's on the menu everyday.
I've only watched videos of Mousebirds. But between seeing them and your description of your little guy's sweet behavior, I want one! LOL (I don't make rash decisions, so I won't run out to get one. But that doesn't mean that I can't inquire about the Mousebirds raised by a gentleman located only 1 hour from my home. :D)

I've been meaning to ask, Alet, what's your Mousebird's name?

Last edited:

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
They are all so beautiful :fairy: