• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Getting wood flooring refinished

Nbelval

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nicole
I see that a lot of people are recommending to use water or acrylic based paint/stain/finishes. What if you HAVE to have oil based polyurethane when getting your floors redone? How long do I wait before getting a bird? I know most people say when you can't smell it any longer but are there still fumes that people can't smell?
I just want to be 100% sure it's safe. We will have the Windows all open to help since a few days after it is completed we will be having to live with the smell ourselves. :gag:

We do not have a bird as of yet and this is the reason why. I want to wait for the flooring to be done and safe to bring a bird home. Also don't want to get one and then shortly after it's settled in, disrupt it's life by moving it to a friends home or boarding for several weeks. So, we wait.

Thanks to anyone who is more knowledgeable about this subject than I am!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Ventilate ventilate ventilate. You should be good in about 30 days. As you said there's no rush.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
I found that our floors no longer had any odor with in a week or so

Nbelval

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nicole
Well, no hurry, but we would love to have one as soon as possible at the same time. We have already been waiting so to add another month will seem like torture to our kids. We will put the birds needs first though, as difficult as it is to wait! LOL
I'm also thinking as far as timing with a breeder or store. Most bird stores/breeders around here that I would consider purchasing from require a deposit and I imagine they want the babies to go to their new homes as soon as possible. I think I will aim for mid to late August for getting our new bird and that should save us from requesting the store or breeder to hold onto our bird longer in case the fumes are still bad.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
When we had our floors refinished, we were told not to rugs or furniture on the floors for 1 week to allow them to fully dry and cure.

They was a detectable odor for at least 2 weeks. That was with stain and 2 coats of polyurethane. So I would say 30 days would be good.

Nbelval

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nicole
@JLcribber And anyone else who wants to chime in.
We selected a baby bird about a month ago and we were told he would be ready mid-late August which was perfect timing considering the flooring situation. We went to visit yesterday and they said "great news! He has self weaned and you can come get him next weekend!" I told them I may need more time and they will give me one more week if needed. Our floors had the last coat of varnish on Friday so tomorrow will be one full week of having it cure. There is still an odor at this point and it's not strong but it's enough that I'm sure it wouldn't be healthy for our bird. So I see 30 days is what you recommended John, do you think 3 weeks is pushing it too soon? I can pay to have him boarded there if I absolutely have to. Thanks everyone!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
If you've been ventilating the place for 3 weeks I would think it's fine. Can you still smell it?

Nbelval

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nicole
If you've been ventilating the place for 3 weeks I would think it's fine. Can you still smell it?
I can, my husband can't. LOL we've only been ventilating for 6 days at this point. With the extra week they give me it will be three weeks total ventilating before Skittles comes home.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Yes ours was on oil based polyurethane 4 coats. I would imagine that how quickly it dries fully is going to depend on the humidity in the area. Is it an air conditioned space?

Nbelval

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nicole
@itzmered No, sadly it's not. The humidity has been up and down this week and probably will do the same for the next few weeks (New England weather is never predictable).

Nbelval

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nicole
@JLcribber I just had another scary paranoid thought! We have in floor radiant heat. When we turn it on in the fall will it create more off gassing that could harm our bird? Would turning it on now help speed up the drying process? Ahh! I'm a wreck about these stupid floors. Thanks!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
@JLcribber I just had another scary paranoid thought! We have in floor radiant heat. When we turn it on in the fall will it create more off gassing that could harm our bird? Would turning it on now help speed up the drying process? Ahh! I'm a wreck about these stupid floors. Thanks!

They will be good and cured by then. In floor heating doesn't "cook" the floor. Just warms it. I recently renovated the entire main floor of my house. Paint. Floors. Ceilings. Everything. My birds are still alive and healthy? :D

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
@JLcribber Do you have any advice for when you use water base polyurethane on wood floors? Do you know how long I would have to ventilate? I know its suppose to be safer but by how much?