• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Black capped lory?

sezza4ever

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Samie
Hi I have recently bought a black capped lory from a breeder who told me he is about 7months old. But while having him I've just noticed that he is starting to be getting yellow feathers around his neck. I've looked up black capped lorys on the net and none seem to have yellow but the yellow bibbed lory does but he looks abit different to the yellow bibbed. so I just wanted someone to help me I might be even doing something wrong for his colors to be changing if someone could help that would be so thankful.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

image.jpeg

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
@Monica do you have any idea why her baby would be looking like this?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
It could be a sign that the bird is a hybrid somewhere down the road (may help to know what the parents look like? and if any of the siblings ever displayed unusual coloring?), it could be a unique trait of the bird due to the black cap being closely related to at least two species with yellow throats, or it could be a sign of a health issue.

If an eclectus is taking meds while molting, they may get yellow feathers, which will molt out with the next molt and they'll return to normal coloration. Although if a bird is sick, or has organ failure, that can also cause a change in feather coloration.... as well as damaged feather follicles due to plucking/mutilating.

Lot of possibilities here... I wouldn't assume a health issue, but it wouldn't hurt to try and contact the breeder for more info, and if the bird hasn't been to an avian vet yet for the new bird checkup, it wouldn't hurt to take him now! :)

sezza4ever

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Samie
Thankyou so much for replying
His parents were ment to be black capped lorys but I do remember her saying that she does breed both the blacked capped and yellow bibbed lorys so maybe she lied to me and really he is breed with a blacked capped and a yellow bibbed? I tried to even call her but she isn't even answering my calls so now I'm feeling worried.

But I did take him to the vet for a check over the first day I got him and they said he is all good clipped his nails and said he has a good weight but that was before when the yellow wasn't there.
He looks really healthy too eats heaps and is fully of energy keeps me very busy hehe. But I will keep a good eye on his eating and his weight if I see anything change I will go to the vet again.
I'm just crossing my fingers like you said it might be the molt or its just him.
Thankyou so much this really has helped me heaps and I will just hope and pray this goes away or its just his unique colors like you said.
Thanks heaps means a lot :) :)

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Being a hybrid though is rarely an "end all" thing for birds. Most hybrids are actually rather healthy individuals... so that shouldn't be an issue.

Tim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
He's beautiful! Maybe you just got a lucky beautiful hybrid!

sezza4ever

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Samie
Thanks heaps that makes me feel much better that his a hybrid and it's not a health issue as I didn't want him sick As I trusted the breeder. I might still get him to the vet again just for a peace of mind and just make sure it's not a health issue. Thanks again so much will send some more photos of him when more of the yellow comes in too :) :)

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I'm not sure that he is a hybrid, but likewise, I'm not sure that he isn't. Just wanted to say, even if he is, it shouldn't be an issue! :)

Let us know what the vet thinks!

gptb2020

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kaden
Could be true or could be the breeder trying to get more money.