• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Have a question

Lestat

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lisa-Marie
You're going to get sick of me asking questions lol,
Aqua and Aero have been opposite each other for 8 days now, chirping away and have time out of their cages together. There's been no aggression at all and they often follow each other into their cages and eat and play with toys. However, I've been putting them back in their own cages at night as I'm not confident enough to leave them unattended yet as I know they can be feisty buggers.
The last 2 nights Aqua has been contact calling him when they go back in their own cages to sleep, he replies to her quietly but she still desperately calls for him. So now I'm wondering whether to leave them over night in the next few days. She quietens down after about 45 minutes, I know all birds take a different amount of time to bond so I obviously don't want to try anything too early and I've been taking it at their own pace.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Greencheek Lee

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lee
I really don't know. I have recently let my GCC's sleep together. They are still separated during the day while I'm at work, and they sleep in the same room as I do so I can hear if anyone is moving around. I don't know if you should, but calling for 10 minutes is what made me try it. I do cover the cage and stood next to it for half an hour before I climbed into bed. It's really you're call, just thought I'd share.:shrug:

Vera

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vera
how old are your birds?
I also have two parrotlets, male and female, when they were younger they were housed together without any problems.
But when they became over 1 year old the territorial behaviour began.
I now have them housed in seperate cages and give them playtime together outside the cage.
When i see how relaxed this has made my nervous boy, i am sure i did the right thing by seperating them.
parrotlets aren't very good in sharing food,toys and territory, also my vet mentioned that it is not natural to keep them housed together year round.

you can give it a try to house them together, but keep in mind that there is a possibility that you need to seperate them later on.

edit: my cages are placed side by side, so they can see each other.
they also have their highest perches, where they sleep, placed at the same hight and place so they feel like they are sleeping together.

Lestat

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lisa-Marie
They're both a year old, their cages are opposite each other so they can see each other. They chirp to each other when in the cages and follow each other into their cages to play with toys and eat. As soon as I put them back in their own cages she goes mad with contact calls for at least 45 minutes.

Anneka

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
45 mins of contact call is a long time. I'd try and let them sleep together.
Do you have a hut in which they could sleep together?
They might be OK during the nite but make sure to supervise them as soon as they are up.

Lestat

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lisa-Marie
Sorry I've not been around lately, they're still not in permanently yet. They go in and out of each others still and their cages are next to each other now, every so often she attempts to beat him up so I've not attempted over night yet. They're getting there though.