• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Female Ekkies?

What do you think about female ekkies?

• Total voters

Yoshi&Reza

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Alyssa
I think a breeder who specializes in eclectus would be the best person to talk to. If they have had years of experience then they can generalize the females and males pretty well.

I went through Laurella Desborough and there are a couple other breeders that @bicmeister, @jmfleish, and @Milo went through.

The time I had Reza she was spot on with all the changes he went through. She knows eclectus and she most definitely knows her babies.

Tim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
If by activity you mean searching out nesting sites obsessively, then very active!

BigMacWonder

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Anne
Is that why some of them plucked, make and female.

HyacinthWings

Walking the driveway
Real Name
June
I think a breeder who specializes in eclectus would be the best person to talk to. If they have had years of experience then they can generalize the females and males pretty well.

I went through Laurella Desborough and there are a couple other breeders that @bicmeister, @jmfleish, and @Milo went through.

The time I had Reza she was spot on with all the changes he went through. She knows eclectus and she most definitely knows her babies.
I tried very hard, but her contact me box wouldn't work. I don't have any other idea of getting her contact information or speaking with her one-on-one..

If by activity you mean searching out nesting sites obsessively, then very active!
Oh my! Really? Is that all they do? Get out of the cage and search for nests? :omg:

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
I believe that each parrot is individual and how it was interacted with, and the environment it is in, determines how it behaves towards humans. I have met female & male Eclectus parrots who were so sweet and others who were outright nasty. Henry our male Eclectus interacts with us daily, this involves training, handling, patting, rubbing, scratching and helping with preening. Has can be seen in the attached photo. Time interacting with your bird is the secret. The more time you send with your bird the better the bond and trust.
IMG_2013.JPG

BigMacWonder

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Anne
I believe that each parrot is individual and how it was interacted with, and the environment it is in, determines how it behaves towards humans. I have met female & male Eclectus parrots who were so sweet and others who were outright nasty. Henry our male Eclectus interacts with us daily, this involves training, handling, patting, rubbing, scratching and helping with preening. Has can be seen in the attached photo. Time interacting with your bird is the secret. The more time you send with your bird the better the bond and trust.
View attachment 228027
That's one good advice! I like both gender but after reading some horror story about the female changed their demeanour after they matured really worry me. The last thing I want is a moody hormonal bitey parrot.

HyacinthWings

Walking the driveway
Real Name
June
View attachment 228027
Thank you... You have no idea how much the advice so far has given me such great hope. :)

Laura729

Jogging around the block
I totally agree with everyone who has mentioned how different each parrot can be. I did long-term pet sitting/boarding years ago for a female (adult) eclectus, for over 2 years (her owner had to live and travel abroad for work during this time). I can absolutely say she is THE sweetest bird I've ever met (and I've got some sweet boys of my own, and I also volunteer with many amazing parrots at a rescue/sanctuary). Her favorite thing was to sit on me with her beak pressed into my chest or neck. Even when she would get nesty and hormonal, I had no trouble handling or doing anything with her (she actually never bit or even nipped me). She was a good talker and fairly playful at times, but usually pretty calm and quiet (except when she did her LOUD, but infrequent alarm call).

Again, every parrot is different, and I don't have much experience with other female ekkies, other than a few I've briefly met (all seemed sweet as well). According to what I've often heard or read, this discription is not typical for many female ekkies, but again, it depends on the individual. :) My male ekkie is very playful, also such a sweetheart, but quite a brat at times too! He's a bit of a "Velcro bird" with me. My goffin is actually less demanding than my male ekkie, if you can believe it :wideyed:, so again, every parrot is just so different.

HyacinthWings

Walking the driveway
Real Name
June
every parrot is just so different
I think this is one of the reasons why parrot "ownership" is so difficult. You read and read and read, then interact with birds of the species you love, but you could end up with a completely different animal. It's like us. You read and read and read about humans, interact with them, but each individual is just so entirely different. Some are just mean, some are sweet. It's unbelievable how animals, when not domesticated, are so diverse despite them being within the same species.

CaliEckies

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Sorry I didn't see. Your question before I sent you a long explanation today in private message :)

CaliEckies

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
My response to your Private Message asking about this:
Female and male eckies can be similar and very much different. What I have found in my experience is a female is much more independent and a male is much more around the home social. Being that the females are the dominate ones who mostly protect the nest this makes sense. The nice thing is eckies are not a one person bird typically. In the wild they have multiple partners so as long as the entire family participates in care this shouldn't be an issue. Now the bird will always have their favorite but the bird wont go after everyone but their favorite as like say some Greys and Macaws.
My females only bite when *I* am not paying attention. I have never had an eckie bite me when they didnt give me signs ahead of time.
I have seen on the boards a lot of people are turned off by a girls dominate or mating behavior during the season but this doesn't bother me at all. I breed Bulldogs so I realize when they come into their hormones they can act witchy and get annoyed quickly lol I dont blame them at all thats nature. Until we can spay birds easily you just have to deal with this.
Your Vos will be the largest much different in coloring and is known to be a higher strung Eckie both male and female. More prone to pluck. Not sure why. Maybe because they arent as prevalent so we arent breeding them down from their wild counter parts.
Let me know if you have any other questions. :)They are great birds. I NEVER feed pellets. I dont care how amazing people say STAY AWAY from them. Eckies have a different intestinal tract and they cant process the human formulated foods.

Mococo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mo
Our girl Coco was my SO's childhood pet, they're velcro and he's the sun and moon to her. When he became a truck driver she lived with relatives for 5 years and they abused and neglected her. She moved in with us recently, and I'm her primary caregiver. I used to be a dog trainer, but had very little experience with birds.

Coco does not pluck, although she preens for a few hours every day. She likes to peep, cluck, squeal, honk, and talk (hi, what's up, yeah, nope). She's very good at communicating what she wants and likes. Although she was afraid of me until recently she's never bit me, or really tried to. She always gives at least three warnings if she wants space. She's only screamed maybe a dozen times since we got her, and it was out of terror. I handle all the feeding and it's pretty easy. She's learning the names of foods - so if I ask if she wants spinach she'll say "yeah", but growl if I offer blackberries. And the blackberries will end up on the floor if I give them to her. She goes to sleep around 9-10pm and sleeps through the night, sometimes giggling in her sleep. She wakes up around 6 but doesn't want breakfast until 8-10am. I have to say, she's pretty low maintenance, easier than the German Shepherd I had. The trickiest part is being careful about food, since they're sooo sensitive. Sometimes Coco tries to be domineering, but we usually just leave her alone until the mood wears off. Then she's sweet and cuddly.

Last edited: