• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I volunteered at the rescue today

AzaleaMist

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
We do have an animal shelter for dogs and cats that recently became no kill that is pretty close. They send other animals out to neighboring areas I believe that handle birds and small pets. Years ago we adopted our gerbils through them and more recently my one of my oldest daughter's cats. They have many volunteer opportunities there. Dog walking, evaluating personalities, playing with and caring for the animals. I feel much more interested in volunteering now that they became a no kill shelter! It would be a fun pastime to consider when I have free time. ❤

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
Sounds really fun! I wish I had somewhere to volunteer!
It is lots of fun :) I love helping the birds.
We do have an animal shelter for dogs and cats that recently became no kill that is pretty close. They send other animals out to neighboring areas I believe that handle birds and small pets. Years ago we adopted our gerbils through them and more recently my one of my oldest daughter's cats. They have many volunteer opportunities there. Dog walking, evaluating personalities, playing with and caring for the animals. I feel much more interested in volunteering now that they became a no kill shelter! It would be a fun pastime to consider when I have free time. ❤
It's cool that you adopted some of your pets from them :) we have a no kill shelter nearby too, which I used to volunteer at. I loved helping the animals out. :D

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
We volunteer at the no kill shelter near us, but it is mostly dogs and cats, with the occasional small animal. I wish there was a bird rescue near us where we could volunteer. My husband always says if we won the lottery I would use the money to start a bird rescue.:tiel:

Animallover03

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
We volunteer at the no kill shelter near us, but it is mostly dogs and cats, with the occasional small animal. I wish there was a bird rescue near us where we could volunteer. My husband always says if we won the lottery I would use the money to start a bird rescue.:tiel:
That would be amazing if you ever did! :heart:

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
there is a bird rescue near me but because I have birds I can not volunteer there. their flock has PDD and ABV and I 'm not willing to bring it home to my two by accident. so I volunteer at my cousin clinic 2 Saturdays a month. it pays for my vet bills and I get to help out with birds, dogs and cats. I might even get to go to the other clinic where there are horses in 2 weekends.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
:birthday::bdayparty::happybirthday:
May I ask how old you are now?

Animallover03

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
Day 3- I got some pictures!

I cleaned the CAG/TAG and Eclectus as well as the small bird room cages again today.
Casey- a CAG image.jpg image.jpg
Ziggy- a TAG image.jpg image.jpg
Keno- eclectus image.jpg image.jpg
Meanwhile in the small bird room- I put my hair up in a bun because the GCC seemed to like that. Jane and Tarzan (boarding) were more trusting today.
image.jpg
Jane- peachfront conure image.jpg image.jpg
Tarzan the sun conure in the background. (He is the one that pooped on me last week.) image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Louie was really bitey today, he nipped my ears a bit so I shooed him with my hand and he bit me hard, enough to break skin.
Here is Mickey preening:
image.jpg
Louie sitting on my head: (excuse my falling out bun haha)
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
Tarzan testing/licking/preening my shoulder:
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
Me feeding them pellets:
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
I also got pictures of the 'toos and one of a zon and a macaw, will in next post. I also will figure out how to upload some videos I got of Teagan. :)

Chopper

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
That is so cool. Thank you for sharing.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
What a nice day and pics! :) And you have a really nice smile! ♥
I will post the videos later- gotta upload them on YouTube or however you do it.
Yes that is how I do it! First upload to YT then just insert the link from YT with the Media button here on AA.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra

Animallover03

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
I noticed the sign on the too's cage mentions "unpredictable".
Yup, and that is an exact description of him. :lol: there is a red line made of tape a bit out from his cage that you can't cross, for obvious reasons. :)

Animallover03

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
What a nice day and pics! :) And you have a really nice smile! ♥
Thank you! I am getting braces tomorrow, which I'm not looking forward to but at least I will have straight teeth when it is done. (And I get to go to the pet store after I get them on :lol:)

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Thanks for the pictures and the video (and for volunteering, always an important thing to do).