• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Red feathers

dts

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
damaris
I am curious about some red feathers on my BCC around his shoulder wings. Has anyone seen or own a BCC with this? At the beginning I though it was a strawberry stain, but when I looked closely they are tiny red feathers on both sides. :chin:

[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

dts

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
damaris
Ooops... Here are some pics

Percy&Ivan

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
Well I know some macaws do that right? Like severed and Hahns?

Skipper

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Scott Schifer
Military Macaws do to, and GCCs have very similar coloring to Militaries, so I am not surprised. Their behavior is quite similar too.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Probably a unique trait for your bird, unless he's got some hybrid parentage! There are red headed conures that some species do have red at the bend of the wings.

Found an older blue crown conure with red and yellow feathers around the wrists/shoulder area. These appear to be due to feather follicle damage, however.....

Blue Crowned Conure by koshplappit on DeviantArt

Interesting note - many green conures, macaws and some amazons share the red coloration at the wrist, arm-pit area or between the two.

Reactions: dts

nm0710

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nicole
I have a BCC as well. She has a yellow spot just like this in the same area.

Reactions: dts

dts

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
damaris
It is interesting that he is showing this red coloration on that area like other species. So far his feathers look healthy and I'll keep an eye on them. Next time I take him to the vet avian I 'll ask him. Thanks everybody for your replies . :)