• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help! GCC and FSC - Unexpected Clutch

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Hey everyone.... Lucky is no longer sitting on them. Is this normal?

She sleeps next to them and both parents feed them.
It really just depends on the ambient temperature. The babies generally need extra heat until they are feathered, but if your house is warm, then Lucky sitting next to them might be just right.
If they are begging for food and active (as active as such small babies can be anyway) then they are warm enough.

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
Congrats on your clutch. I can't wait to see what they are going to look like as they get older.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Pick each baby up at least once a day to hand tame them. Scritch the baby the same way you would as the parent birds, even if they don't have all their feather yet. Start them with step up training when you are holding them and keep up the training as they age and get older. When they fledge (start perching on their own and leaving the nest), they will have a reaction to you trying to pick them up, be firm about picking them up, but try not to chase them around to pick them up. I usually trap the babies in a corner of the cage with a piece of cardboard, then pick them up. You don't have to hand feed to hand tame and acclimate the babies to humans.

Chris_Envoy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Christian
Hey guys! Long time!

I appreciate all of the help and support :)

I'm going to handle them today for the first time. Dad (FSC) has very aggressive with us (attacking) when we try to touch.

Here are some updated pictures!

I wonder what they will look like! Green and Blue so far on the wings!

Attachments

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
:rolleyes::xflove::xflove::xflove::excited3::excited3::excited3: :yes4: :canthear::canthear:

Forgot to add - SQUEEEEEEEE! :heart2::heart2:

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
What cute little guys.
You might want to lock the dad up just while you are handling the babies (but somewhere where he can see what you're doing and can see you aren't hurting them). You don't want him trying to bite you when you are handling them, it doesn't help teach them that you are safe and he might even accidentally bite a baby. Keep the handling sessions short at first and give the parents some treats and attention when you are done - especially the mom if she's allowing you to handle the babies.

Beanurita

Real Name
Melissa
So cute

Chris_Envoy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Christian
Thank you for the advice! Apollo (the dad) has never been super keen about people. He bonded to Lucky. While I had Lucky for a few years before getting him. Apollo would come to us on his terms only (when he wanted).

Also...

I see some fiery shoulders coming in on one!

Attachments