• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I might be the parront of a pied Senegal

SirMarty

Moving in
Hi guys, I googled this and saw very few threads on parrot forums and sparse information online about pied or yellow-factor Senegals. I thought I'd bring it up again since I might be a parront of one.

I would just like to mention a couple of things beforehand though before I share some pictures.

He is 2 years old. 2 months before he turned 2 he went to the vet for excessive watery stool. He got the full initial treatment: x-rays, out-of-lab blood work, fecal work. Everything came back normal, except that he had heightened protein levels. The vet and the pet store I purchased him from had told me that this could be a reason for his excessive yellow feathering.

However, I do have pictures of him before and after he turned 1, and although very slight, he had few yellow spots and patches. However, months after he turned 1 I'm guessing he went through a progressive molt and got more and more yellow.

As for diet, he had been on the same seed/pellet diet since he was weaned up until late May. My vet had me switch to Harrison's and now him and 2 of my other fids have converted to that while still getting fruits and veggies.

In late May they also got bird UVA/UVB lights. The pet store I got him from said this could actually make him more yellow instead in his next molt.

Last thing is that the breeder they got him from was not breeding something like a pied Senegal. The pet store said if he is something like this the breeder would've likely kept him back and not sold him to the store had they known.

Now for some pictures!

Baby Kisses:

4 months ago:

2 months ago. You can't see it but his back has some mild yellow feathering:

Four days ago:

Last edited:

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
he looks sweet thanks for sharing

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
He's a very handsome birdie! :)

alshgs

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
he is certainly handsome, that's for sure!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
He's very handsome and I love that bird yawn photo .... :heart::heart::heart: then again, I think all birdie tongues are cute.:wacky: