• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Male lovebirds

lower027

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brittany
So I read through the good bad and ugly, and I see there seem to be issues with females and aggressiveness. What about males though? Are they still prone to nesting behaviors or is it just the females? Are they super beaky?

lunasalix

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I think they are generally less likely to show nesting behavior (though it can still happen) and less moody. My male is less prone to shedding and more even-tempered. He still nibbles on me and bites if I upset him, though. He's also the least likely to start trouble out of my 3 lovies.

L

Lynn96

I've delt with female and male lovebirds, Tango being a male is hardly aggressive but has his moments. Like if I grab something he wants to chew on he will do a frustrated sound and grip my finger hard with his beak. He nibbles my hands a lot but never in a aggressive way. He can be a little hormonal. Lovebirds just have big attitudes and females seem to deal with it more so while males seem more - pet quality. Hope it works out for you.

lower027

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brittany
I've delt with female and male lovebirds, Tango being a male is hardly aggressive but has his moments. Like if I grab something he wants to chew on he will do a frustrated sound and grip my finger hard with his beak. He nibbles my hands a lot but never in a aggressive way. He can be a little hormonal. Lovebirds just have big attitudes and females seem to deal with it more so while males seem more - pet quality. Hope it works out for you.
Well I asked my parents if I could have a bird and they said no lol. I expected a no though so I'm not crushed. Once I complete my sonography or radiography, I can move out :p

Still, thank you very much for the responses

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Not to worry there is plenty of time ahead of you for a male love bird.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ok because there is a little male lovebird up for adoption. Apparently he's tame and likes to play aggressively with his toys lol
Get him! :)

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So I read through the good bad and ugly, and I see there seem to be issues with females and aggressiveness. What about males though? Are they still prone to nesting behaviors or is it just the females? Are they super beaky?
Some boys can be nesty or beaky, but they're the minority. None of my four boys are nesty or very beaky, though Termite is the most likely to pinch if he's cranky and his authority is not respected! For the most part, they're very spirited yet cuddly and loving. They'll boss you, but you'll be smiling. :)

As for conures - depending on the type, they can be bitey. GCCs most of all so far, but I think the Jekyll/Hyde thing may apply to others as well (my ex had a dusky conure that would love on you briefly and then bite the tar out of you without apparent warning or provocation). I think lovies are more obvious and don't bite as often or as hard:

"I want, you deny - I'm upset!"

"You're in my way!"

"Stop that annoying thing right now!"

"This is mine, too, and I don't want to share right now!"

"Why are you putting me back already?!"

:)

lower027

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brittany
Some boys can be nesty or beaky, but they're the minority. None of my four boys are nesty or very beaky, though Termite is the most likely to pinch if he's cranky and his authority is not respected! For the most part, they're very spirited yet cuddly and loving. They'll boss you, but you'll be smiling. :)

As for conures - depending on the type, they can be bitey. GCCs most of all so far, but I think the Jekyll/Hyde thing may apply to others as well (my ex had a dusky conure that would love on you briefly and then bite the tar out of you without apparent warning or provocation). I think lovies are more obvious and don't bite as often or as hard:

"I want, you deny - I'm upset!"

"You're in my way!"

"Stop that annoying thing right now!"

"This is mine, too, and I don't want to share right now!"

"Why are you putting me back already?!"

:)
Would you say Lovebirds are the type of bird to sit there and watch tv with you or just browse the computer with you?

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Would you say Lovebirds are the type of bird to sit there and watch tv with you or just browse the computer with you?
Yep. Mine do all the time. They also nap on me. If you adopt a very young one, their hyperness makes them flitty (think flying from you to different points of the room and back, climbing up your head, etc), but they settle down once they're a little older.

I can also fold laundry and make smoothies with them on me (basically anything bird-safe), and they're pretty adaptable. Sometimes they'll try to get into the middle of what you're doing - you just have to relocate them. ;)

lower027

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brittany
Yep. Mine do all the time. They also nap on me. If you adopt a very young one, their hyperness makes them flitty (think flying from you to different points of the room and back, climbing up your head, etc), but they settle down once they're a little older.

I can also fold laundry and make smoothies with them on me (basically anything bird-safe), and they're pretty adaptable. Sometimes they'll try to get into the middle of what you're doing - you just have to relocate them. ;)
So weird question, but what do birds actually do when they preen you? The only bird I know is a very territorial quaker.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Hartley PFLB presents my hair, licks sweat off my brow and nibbled on my shirts. Sunshine Senegal grooms my fingers, removes longer hair if she finds any on my face and chin and now and then grooms my hair around my ears and back of my neck. They are both very gentle.

Ankou

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
So weird question, but what do birds actually do when they preen you? The only bird I know is a very territorial quaker.
@lower027

My lovebird will nibble incessantly. She also makes tiny raspberry noises.
Eventually if she doesn't stop I have to distract her with a toy or something because it actually drives me crazy. I just roll a ball by her or whatever and let her natural bird ADHD take over. That way she doesn't feel rejected and I can make her infinite poking stop.

Also in The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly I do tend to place higher emphasis on bad behaviors because I do want people to get a lovebird knowing they might be more difficult than people tend to think a teeny fluffball with "love" as the 1st half of it's name should be. Even when Peanut was younger and more bitey she was always still a good bird, just one with a short fuse. Now that's she's mature her fuse is quite a bit longer and I pretty much only get bitten around once a year, usually because I'm doing something I know full well will make her territorial and decide to do anyway.
I don't have any experience with a male lovebird, I just know I have zero regrets about getting my female one even if she was a little gremlin when hormonal for a few years.

Lovebirds are great, so much personality and cleverness in one small fluff. With time and patience most aren't going to be too hard to deal with when/if issues do show up. Plus if they do get difficult or cause chaos around the house, tiny beaks mean tiny bites. Less damage to yourself and your things versus larger birds.

lower027

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brittany
@lower027

My lovebird will nibble incessantly. She also makes tiny raspberry noises.
Eventually if she doesn't stop I have to distract her with a toy or something because it actually drives me crazy. I just roll a ball by her or whatever and let her natural bird ADHD take over. That way she doesn't feel rejected and I can make her infinite poking stop.

Also in The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly I do tend to place higher emphasis on bad behaviors because I do want people to get a lovebird knowing they might be more difficult than people tend to think a teeny fluffball with "love" as the 1st half of it's name should be. Even when Peanut was younger and more bitey she was always still a good bird, just one with a short fuse. Now that's she's mature her fuse is quite a bit longer and I pretty much only get bitten around once a year, usually because I'm doing something I know full well will make her territorial and decide to do anyway.
I don't have any experience with a male lovebird, I just know I have zero regrets about getting my female one even if she was a little gremlin when hormonal for a few years.

Lovebirds are great, so much personality and cleverness in one small fluff. With time and patience most aren't going to be too hard to deal with when/if issues do show up. Plus if they do get difficult or cause chaos around the house, tiny beaks mean tiny bites. Less damage to yourself and your things versus larger birds.
Very true. Thank you for the response :)

Percy&Ivan

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
See how big Peanut is, how long does that take?