• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I'm a terrible lazy bird mom with spoiled monster darlings

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I take it you've been allowing your grey to sit on your shoulder. You can always take that privilege away. As he matures he may take a chunk out of your ear or face. If he's on your arm you can gently move your arm up or down and do a turn around to distract him and take his focus off of chewing on you. Or give him a foot toy to occupy that beak and remove the focus on your clothing or skin.

Keep the remote away ( if he could get the cover off and get access to the battery that could pose a danger) , and especially the pencils because they contain lead… ingesting that could be fatal or cause serious health issues. If he's chewing on dad's shoe he's on the floor? He needs a stand with plenty to entertain him.

They don't really know the meaning of "drop that". It's your job to exchange the item he has for a parrot appropriate toy to play with.

As far as biting… when he bites put him on his stand. If you have ever or still play with his beak or feet with your hands that teaches him it's ok to be beaky with you. Later on it will progress to a serious bite.

How does he get on top of the door or tv? If he flies to those then place an object on top of the door or tv that will deter him from wanting to be there. I would keep a large basket of toys for hun to rummage through and distract him from your things. If he leaves the basket for your things pick him up and put him back to his toys. It's going to take diligence on your part to keep your bird safe from objects that could be harmful.

BigMacWonder

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Anne
We have similar situation to start with.... I bought four parents reared little parrots that isn't tamed at all and I been through similar problems. The only difference, I think... I read a lot of articles from different "schools" and joined FB group two years before I got my first parrot. Even that, theory and practical are two different things. I ended up hiring a parrot trainer to train us.

Clicker training is a huge help and definitely had made my life a lot easier. I started with point a-b then step up. Now I will start with point a-b, target then step up then recall and etc. Target training made "getting my lovebird back to her cage" a breeze.

All my birds being fed with sunflower seeds and millets only...the macaw had some apple and corns and that's it. When they arrived, I determine to get them to eat chop. It was a battle of will and it was frustrating. I have been told to give very small portion of the chop underneath their fav foods, slowly add more of the chop and less seeds and millets. It took from weeks to months. At the end all of them given up, start to accept my diet of choice. Yay to me! Never have been so determine before... lol. My galah and macaw would try something I ate in front of them. After they witnessed how I stuffed my face with the yummy Mango. :hilarious: Recently my bratty macaw decided she will only eat her greens if I sprinkle some diced almond on top... which is fine with me as she does need good oil in her diet. :D

As of potty training, I fantasied all my birds are potty trained too but of course the reality is totally different.:hehe: At first I was worried about the mess of the dropping my macaw would make. Luckily by giving her the right foods, her droppings are solid most of the time unless I give her stuffs that are watery like cucumber and watermelon. So picking up her droppings aren't that hard or disgustful. After some times of observation, I do able to get her to her stand to do her business but the brat would refuse to go on her stand. She also knows where you should potty which is her stand but again...if I did something naughty (that I didn't even know my self), she will poop on the floor to get back to me. Yup she is vindictive. :heart:

That is my experience, each of us have different situation so...just share my experience with you. Good luck!! :hug8:

GCC_Quijote

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Hannah Mosqueda
We're working to implement some of the ideas like the toy basket and stuff and its beginning to work already. I think a big part of the problem as far as chewing on things they shouldn't when they're out with us is just that they've gotten tire of the toys we had for them. We made some new ones and they seem to be more interested in them than anything else right now.

One note about our grey: she has no toes. She has a play stand, and she perches on it sometimes, but she can't really play with toys while she's on it. We tried a flat perch, but she doesn't like it very much. For some reason she prefers the rounded ones even though she can't grab them. We've got a hoola hoop gym under construction, and we're going to hang toys from the ropes that hold it up and attach them to the hoop in the hopes that she'll be able to perch and play at the same time, but she doesn't seem to like hanging toys (maybe because she can't stop them from swinging). Because of this, she mostly plays on the ground.

We're back on the fresh food train. It turns out smoothies are the answer to all of our woes in that regard. The birds don't want to EAT chop, and chop is harder to make. Smoothies are easy, and the birds love them so its a win win. We cut way back on fruit. We put just a little pineapple in their green smoothies (so that they'll eat it), and we give Picasso blueberries when she goes to the Whole Foods with us.

As to the beaking, I've read conflicting reports on this, and I'll have to consider it for a while. Some resources say, "if you let them beak, they'll bite." However other research indicates no strong correlation between beaking and aggressive biting and I have to say we've found the same. Sure, sometimes they get too rough during play, but we let them know and they back off... when they're playing. The issue we really want to deal with is biting to get their way, or for aggression and if I can do that without eliminating beak play I'd like to. So, if anyone has some resources available from that perspective so I can give it a try, I'd be grateful.

I recently read that being trained is actually a rewarding experience for the parrot too...some mental exercise and bonding. Is the clicker the same as you'd use for a dog or is there a special one for birds?

BigMacWonder

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Anne
Good to know you guys have made progress!! That is awesome!

As for the clicker is the same as the one being used with dog.