• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Training My Aracari Birds

Morgan1202

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Morgan
Hey Everyone!
I just got two new Aracari Birds. They are extremely skittish and will fly into the sides of the cage, when I am cleaning. I have decided to start by putting my hand in to the cage and just resting it there for a few minutes multiple times a day. What is my next step? They seem to be doing really well with that and are ready to progress, but what is next?

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
If you just got them I would not invade their space other than to clean the cage and provide fresh food and water. At this point they need to relax in their new environment and just get used to seeing you and hearing your voice. When they appear to relax, eat and move about…..that distance is their comfort zone for the time being.

alshgs

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Try sitting next to them and read to them or just talk. Let them settle in for a week or two. We did this with Tuki and it worked wonders. We would speak to him in the morning and everytime we walked by his cage, but made sure we spoke to him. Just let them get used to how things work and what kind of routine you are on, and then try to work with them

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:congrats5: On your new birds! Yes, pictures please!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Putting your hand into their cage and just resting it there is counter-productive. It would be like putting a giant spider next to a person who has arachnophobia and waiting for them to calm down. They may externally "calm down", but internally, they are still freaking out.

A better idea is to try and find out what a favorite treat is (blueberries may be popular?) and whenever you walk by the cage, drop a treat in. You don't need to say anything to them, heck, you don't even have to look at them! Just ignore them other than dropping in that treat! This can be a great way for them to learn to look forward to your presence without fear.

However, please also be aware of how you approach their cage. You could be walking too quickly causing them to freak out. This isn't good. Try walking slowly. If you can, whenever you see them starting to look for an escape, stop your approach and take a step or two back. Wait for them to relax before trying to proceed further.

If need be, provide them with shelter within the cage so they have a way to hide and feel safe. If you have any safe trees in your area, this can include outfitting the cages with some big, leafy branches that provide cover.

Main point is, you want them to feel comfortable and safe within their environment and around you. If they freak out every time they see you, you need to try going slower. This can make cage cleaning more difficult, however, but again, go slow and take your time. Avoid eye contact if they aren't comfortable making it.

Here are a couple of articles worth reading!

Working with Fearful Parrots: A Study in Videos | Learning Parrots

Parrot Behavior Myths: Building Trust | Learning Parrots

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Slow is good where birds are concerned. They have long memories.

If you are on Facebook, look up Jason Crean. I believe he raises those kinds of birds.