• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Replacing happy hut

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Hello everyone. In May, I adopted a GCC who is about 16 months old. In his previous home he slept in a happy hut and he does seem to love it - hops right in at night. He doesn't chew it and I check it for loose strings but I would rather he not use it as I am terrified of all the stories warning against them. Still, I feel cruel taking it away as that is all he knows. Any suggestions?

Kellie728

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kellie
I know what you mean about feeling bad taking away his happy hut. One of mine had a happy hut and he loved it, but i took it away because i was just to worried about what could happen after hearing some scary stories.

I saw this for sale on Etsy and was going to purchase it, but it had already sold by the time i got around to it. (there is another like this on Etsy now, it's sold by Happy Wings) So my husband bought some PVC pipe and made one. One of mine just loves it. He sleeps in it every night, and i don't have to worry about him getting tangled in thread. Olive doesn't like his as much. I know he preferred the happy hut, but he does sleep in this one sometimes, and i would never forgive myself if something happened to him because of a happy hut. I don't think it would be hard to make one yourself, or you can try google to see if anyone has something like this for sale or search on Etsy.

upload_2016-6-29_10-12-3.png

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Two of my birdies still use their Happy Huts. Like you, I regularly check for loose strings, etc, but my guys never mess with theirs other than using it to sleep in.

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
My other gcc is a chewer but fortunately won't go near a hut anyway. He sleeps clinging to the side of the cage which looks horrible uncomfortable to me but, hey, it is his choice!

zvezdast

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Mine uses the happy hut, too, and loves it!
But I remove it every morning, since there are always few poops in there, and then put it back in the evening. That way she only uses it for sleeping, and doesn't get much chance to destroy it, or get nesty about it.

Lodah

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I have been struggling over this same issue about Pilo's hut ever since I decided to get another Parrot! I too have read about the horror stories and decided not to get one until I picked up Pilo and saw that the breeder had one in his cage. I told her about the horror stories and she admitted that it was a choice that I would have to make.
In the long run, after seeing how much he loved it and promising myself that I would check it every day for damage... I relented and put one into his new cage! The store that I purchase it from told me that he had been selling huts for years and had never heard of any issues! (yeah yeah, I said in my mind as i handed over the money) So in the long run it comes down to choices... Its extremely cold here in winter and I don't worry about Pilo as I know that he keeps warm at night. He is not a chewer to a great degree and I have plenty of other toys in the cage to keep his mind off the hut!

I have placed many toys in his cage that I have later removed due to seeing how he interacts with them and i would have no hesitation to remove the hut if a similar circumstance arose!

So it boils down to choice... you can't protect your fid from every danger or circumstance no matter how good a Parront you are! God forgive... Pilo could choke on a peanut if it came down to brass tacks... (touch wood)! So its up to you to weigh the advantages and disadvantages and make an informed decision from that!

MNR

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Are we talking about the original happy hut, commonly sold in pet stores? I recall the pieces that attache the hut to cage were the problem. Are there any other issues?

One of my caiques loves her hut. I don't think she can sleep without it. I make my own hut out of fleece. Just used metal pieces to attach to her cage.

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
This is the one I have. Watson doesn't even seem to go to the bathroom inside of it - just sleep. I tried one in Cricket's cage when I first got him and he yelled at it and kicked it until I took it out. They definitely have their own minds LOL

41Wm9qymPnL.jpg

AYA

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gab
I swapped Lawrence's hut out for a 'bird seat', but not because I was worried about it being dangerous-- rather, it was because I found out that my 'he' was in fact a she, so no more nesty spaces in the cage! She took to the seat right away, slept on it first night and will take naps on it during the day. I hung a preener next to it for her to chew, which she does as she falls asleep.
http://www.citycountrypetsandsuppli...eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/b/i/bird_seat.jpg

Also, just something I noticed, but those huts in that picture are no longer sold at any of the shops I go to-- they got recalled and replaced with these:
https://www.petstock.com.au/attachments/Product/44616/111912000094.tag.0.jpg?ts=1464325174

As others have said, it's up to you what you choose, and if we took out every little thing from our bird's lives that could harm them, then they would have nothing, because nothing is foolproof and there will always be terrible accidents. So don't beat yourself up about this choice, okay? :)

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Guys....It's true we can't protect them from everything, but we should protect them from known risks and hazards. It's not random or unknown if it happens a LOT. So please don't justify using something *known* to be dangerous with, "Well, choices/chances, we can't protect them from everything!" *happy oblivious joy until it's your bird that's dead*

tastybeets

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Dang, I didn't even know the Happy Hut had issues. Einstein's had the same one in his cage for 9 years. He climbs through it and he used to take pellets to it, break them up on the surface and peck them off when he was younger (I swear on my life it was the cutest thing you've ever seen.). Guess I'll just remove it to minimize risk.

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Apparently there have been accidents where birds have chewed them and ingested the materials or got caught in the fibre threads. This one AYA posted looks like a material that would not fray provided your bird was not a chewer. The tube would be best but this one might take less adjustmentioned and looks safer.

Also, just something I noticed, but those huts in that picture are no longer sold at any of the shops I go to-- they got recalled and replaced with these:
https://www.petstock.com.au/attachments/Product/44616/111912000094.tag.0.jpg?ts=1464325174

AYA

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gab
Those ones are also from a different brand and are called T&S 'budgie snugglers' which is a) a beautiful pun, and b) a strong hint that they may be hard to find outside of Australia (can only find it on Australian sites so far, which is like the inverse of whenever I usually look for bird products lol)

echobird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ash
They sell some that are made out of fleece materiel. It doesnt have any loose fibers and is pretty safe but i would immediately removed it after it gets a bit worn and the fibers start coming loose. This usually happens faster with chewers so I would remove the hut during the day and only give it at night.

Echo had the happy hut and I switched it for a tent but the tent was ignored and is now only used as a play tent.