• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My new adventure into finches

Cathy AZ

Walking the driveway
Hello everyone,
. I decided to buy some finches as they are pleasant to listen too and watch. Plus, I can't get bitten by them, like my B&G Macaw and BE2. Since my too bite my eyeball I have been a little shy and cautious. I make sure I wear glasses now. And yes, he tried it again. Thank God I was wearing my glasses.
. I acquired 2 zebra finches yesterday. They are singing ginger and active and are really nice. I am enjoying them very much.
In the fall I will be getting 2 Lady Gouldian finches. They are so pretty. Red head, purple belly.

Should I have more than I female for the male zebra finch?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations on your new finches! I am not sure about the gender ratio for zebra finches, but hopefully some one will know.

Odin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chantal
OMG I love finches! They make the cutest sounds! I don't know the ratio either. :bczf:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Congrats! I think finches are adorable. :)

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
Oh goodness I have always wanted a bunch of zebra finches. There is a possibility down the road of moving our salt water fish tank and that gives me a lot of space to put a flight cage or something similar...hehe

SweetAmber

Walking the driveway
One to one. It MUST be even. I love zebras, but they can get plain nasty to the odd one out. Seeing as they are in the cage, the bird that gets picked on can't get away.. Cage space is important in finches, more so than parrots!

carolz7

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
carol
They sure are a pleasure to watch and listen too compared to our big mouths. I have two macaws and so enjoy my finches. I feel the more the merrier. But thats just me. I love all the colors and watching the male sing to the female is just adorable. I really need to get some better pictures but here are mine

Attachments

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Constructive, just an FYI:
Millet= bad. Like giving your Macaw oodles of peanuts. Remove that almost all together.
Crowding= bad. cage is far to crowded- they need to fly back and fourth- if they dont the medical implications are heartbreaking.

SweetAmber

Walking the driveway
I agree, not near as much millet. My guys get half a spray a few times a week! With that much millet, they are liable to poo on it... I would also take out a few things, have less perches further apart.

On feeding, name sure they get some soft food and veggies, and little to no fruit.