• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What are some of your favorite leisure activities to do with your conure?

Gwiyomi

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jenny
My little cinnamon likes me to just be in the same room as him while he plays on his cage or his outside perches, looks out the window, snacks on pellets and fruits, plays with toys. He doesn't like for me to be hands on with him. He enjoys doing his own thing. But I wonder if he gets bored sometimes? Starting to take him out to our front porch for some sun and for him to get used to outside noises and people so I can take him to busier places. He isn't a cuddlebug or affectionate and I completely respect that. He handles training sessions well but other than that, his bath times, or when transferring him to different parts of the house, I just let him be! (under supervision of course)
So what do your conures like to do for fun? And what do you like to do with them to bond and prevent them from getting bored?

tattoosiva

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
My three live for shoulder time, in the morning we spend maybe 30-45 minutes walking around the house babbling nonsense to each other and they love it.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Koopa loved to daaaaance. Put on some peppy music and start grooving. See if you have a dance partner ;)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
As for boredom, take a small basket or "shoe size" container from the dollar store, throw in some foot toys, broken toy parts, shredded paper, and sprinkle with seed and you have a foraging basket :)

Ark

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
There are no leisure activities with my conures, haha. If I'm in their room, they want my undivided attention, and it certainly isn't leisurely! Singing, music, doing tricks in exchange for treats, and shoulder time with lots of kisses and talking are what my birds expect. Even my more hands-off Nanday wants kisses and enjoys preening me! It sounds like you have a very comfortable routine with your bird, and even if he doesn't like direct contact, I'm sure he appreciates you being in the same room and interacting with him. If he were bored, he'd probably make it known!

Gwiyomi

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jenny
My three live for shoulder time, in the morning we spend maybe 30-45 minutes walking around the house babbling nonsense to each other and they love it.
Oh my goodness how cute!!! I just imagined your 3 babies all talking at once and you trying to answer back keeping up hahahaha what a cute sight!!!

Gwiyomi

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jenny
Koopa loved to daaaaance. Put on some peppy music and start grooving. See if you have a dance partner ;)
Ooh
As for boredom, take a small basket or "shoe size" container from the dollar store, throw in some foot toys, broken toy parts, shredded paper, and sprinkle with seed and you have a foraging basket :)
I think he likes salsa music! How can you tell when they are dancing? Bobbing head with chirps?

The foraging basket is such a great idea!!!!! Thank you so much! I will try it!!!

Gwiyomi

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jenny
There are no leisure activities with my conures, haha. If I'm in their room, they want my undivided attention, and it certainly isn't leisurely! Singing, music, doing tricks in exchange for treats, and shoulder time with lots of kisses and talking are what my birds expect. Even my more hands-off Nanday wants kisses and enjoys preening me! It sounds like you have a very comfortable routine with your bird, and even if he doesn't like direct contact, I'm sure he appreciates you being in the same room and interacting with him. If he were bored, he'd probably make it known!
Hahaha awwww!! You guys have such friendly and interactive relationships! And not only the conures but I'm sure you rarely ever get bored either as they keep you busy ♡ :p

Gwiyomi

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jenny
Mine loves any attention I give him , I do a change / rotation of the toys in his cage every couple of weeks to keep him amused , he also loves chewing on cardboard boxes , dancing to music , and chewing my shirt
What are some of his favorite toys if you don't mind me asking? :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Here's some videos, though I think koopa was a little unique in her enthusiasm lol

Koopa Dancing to Skrillex:

Koopa Struts to Thrift Shop:

AYA

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gab
Lawrence is a very mellow bird, and he mostly likes to just sit on my shoulder and be quiet with me, grating his beak all the while. :joyful:

When he's feeling a little more boistrous, he likes to talk to corners and tap objects and pause to listen after, squeaking and moving onto the next target if he approves. He doesn't dance to music much on his own, but if I clap along or otherwise move in tune to it, he'll start copying. He loves to play soccer on the bottom of his cage with a little plastic ball that has a bell in it. Most other toys just make him angry, lol.

Lawrence also loves to be read to, and will huddle up against my throat and try to click along. Oh, he also loves it when I gently grab his beak and move his head from side to side (he bites really hard if I stop before he wants or don't do it 'right'), or if I slowly move my hand as if to punch him while saying 'Punch!', and he meets my knuckles with a tap and a 'chhhh' sound! :laugh:

These little guys are all such tiny weirdos with so many little quirks, I love it :heart: