• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New GCC overgrown nails, NW chicago area vet?

Ecogirl2206

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Andrea
Hi Everyone!

I adopted an adult GCC and her nails are VERY overgrown, as in they make semi circles. It looks like the quick has grown out to most of the length. I've never clipped bird nails before and am very concerned i would cut the quick (plus not sure maybe a vet would have to do that anyways since they are so overgrown). Anyone recommend an affordable vet in NW chicago suburbs that handles birds (I don't want to take her just anywhere and risk someone inexperienced hurting her...)

Thanks!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Niles Animal Hospital comes to mind (obviously in Niles, IL) Niles Animal Hospital | Niles Animal Hospital & Bird Medical Center comes to mind. As does Dr. Scott McDonald - Scott E. McDonald - but the earliest he'll be in IL is June 6th. I'd also recommend Dr. Thomas but she's no longer with Banfield in Mt. Prospect. There is also a bird groomer who visits Animal Feeds & Needs on the weekends and does beak, nail & wing clips but next time she'll be there will be June 5th.

Found this but cannot guarantee anyone other than Niles Animal Hospital. Find a Veterinarian - Local Vets and Veterinary Clinics, Vet Services

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra

Ecogirl2206

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Andrea
Great, those are all great leads, thank you. Does anyone know if a groomer with bird experience can deal with overgrown nails or does it requires a vet?

Thanks!

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
If you're worried that the quick extends too far, I would get the vet to do it.

Ecogirl2206

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Andrea
Yeah, I think they'll want to dremel to cauterize bc they'll have to cut the quick to get it anywhere near a normal length. Thanks for confirming my thoughts on that :)

Anyone have a specific perch they recommend to help keep nails trim? There's concrete, sand (no no I read), etc but I'm looking for a specific one people think works well for gcc size birdie feet!

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
A natural perch with lots of good bark would probably do the trick.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Great, those are all great leads, thank you. Does anyone know if a groomer with bird experience can deal with overgrown nails or does it requires a vet?

Thanks!
Alicia, the groomer I mentioned, used to work as a vet tech so if a fid has long nails she doesn't cut them "short short". In fact, she doesn't cut them at all she uses a Dremel. Amazon.com: dremmel

When in doubt, use a vet for your own peace of mind but it will be a little pricier. I know that Niles is offering bird wellness care packages if you will, you register your bird for X amount, and make monthly payments. I called them to ask about it and they are in the middle of changing to a different company but should have that info available by the end of next week. Wellness Plans for Dogs and Cats | Niles Animal Hospital & Bird Medical Center