• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

so much for never having rats again... meet the new 'feeder' saves

Jenphilly

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
So most of you know my daughter is riddick07 and I've posted pics of some of her gorgeous snakes. We feed frozen feeders, so no live adorable furry critters.... well except for a newer arrival, the ever pain in the behind to feed - the humnlebee ball python.. gorgeous but they can be difficult eaters. Refused frozen over and ovet... she got a live mouse... nope, but he was sacrificed to another scaley appetite. Next stop, a young weaned rat... well frig... three attempts and the stinking snake has no interest. So set up a little container to try scenting frozen with the live girl... well someone has to hold the dang little fur butt while Tor sets up the container.... during which time I have her on my shoulder and she starts clicking her teeth.... non rat people, it's like a cat purring or a dog dropping his head in your lap begging for loving....

So at this point I'm cupping her in my hands and putting her in everyone's way, asking, can you feed that little face.... yeah, she's just an albino, but still... she's so cute....

Now we have a rat, which is worrisome with bird toes, but hey, covwe cage, line top with thin plexi flex, put ratting off where birds don't hang out... I raised a kid with minimal blood shed, we can figure this out...

But you can't have just ONE rattie.... besides if we have one, I'm getting a blue or dumbo... we've had rats off and on since Tor was about 5.... love blues and dumbo are beyond adorable.... so off on a hunt for spcas and shelters... only girls, no babies... as hard as it is to believe, no one to be found. In meantime we find a new local guy for frozen feeders... hmmmmm.... anyone guess where this is going... get the frozen order placed then happen to mention if he has any cute sweet girls, blue a perk, obviously not frozen yet... sorry bad joke...

He sent me pics of two, but one was a boy but save for the girl.... then thinking, three are best, odds with girls 1 in 4 will develop tumors, unfortunate fact with rattie girls... so logically a third so just in case no one gets left alone....

Long story, meet Pia the original albino (yes her name is P.I.A.) :) Then other two Littles are named for women who survived serial killers... I'm warped I know.... greyish blue girl is Tali and tan baby is Sabra...

Now to keep them away from parrot toes

20160519_165444.jpg 20160520_221254-1.jpg 2016-05-22 11.55.34.jpg 2016-05-22 15.54.23.jpg 20160522_222820.jpg 20160522_223137.jpg 2016-05-23 19.56.22-1.jpg 2016-05-23 19.57.23-1.jpg 2016-05-22 15.52.55-1-2.jpg

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
It's illegal to own or possess a rat here in Alberta. We are supposedly rat free.

I've never seen one wild or otherwise.

Jaguar

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
I loooove ratties. One day when I will have more space I will have some again. They are too cute!

WeasleyLover

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
They are all adorable! But that second one....IS SO PRECIOUS! :heart:

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
They are so cute and they are even cuter because they live at your place.

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
BTW - how long did you have that macaw before he/she hugged you like that. Your avatar is gorgeous.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I must confess… I love naked ratties. Years ago I had two girls … Isaboo and Peekaboo. Their skin is so soft and love the wrinkles. I kept them a year and then gave them to a "real" rat enthusiast. The turn off for me was seeing them pee on each other and after that the fun of holding them was uh.. not so much fun. We did have fun with them though in our one and only photo shoot. They weren't so keen on being dressed up so I didn't put them through that again.
ratstg2.jpg
ratbike.jpg

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
:coffeescreen: I was not expecting that second photo on the bike!

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
I've wanted rats for about 6 years now, I would also get 2 females. Did tons of research on them, but now isn't the time. Rats are so adorable!-

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
:coffeescreen: I was not expecting that second photo on the bike!
That was a stressful shoot for her. She didn't like being placed on the bike so it took several tries so that's why her face is blurred. I borrowed the toy motorcycle and the fake leather vest and goggles were borrowed from my sisters collection of GI Joe stuff for her son ( she saves EVERYTHING!) The other photo was much easier but still had to put the dress on her ( found that in the toy section of doll clothes at the dollar tree… love the dollar tree!). We placed a piece of black mat board behind her and I used a treat to get her to stand up. Those were the only photos we took of my ratties. If ever I got another one I would only have one to avoid the whole peeing on each other thingy.. icky poo!

Jenphilly

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
BTW - how long did you have that macaw before he/she hugged you like that. Your avatar is gorgeous.

That pic was shortly after he came home.... Max picked me as his mom, he has been that affectionate and a momma's boy from the moment he stepped up and face planted into my chest. My daughter was interested in him, but Jeanne said I had to be able to handle him, so we had macaw 101 training.... but Max had his own plans, he followed me, ran across the table after me when I got up to use the bathroom... Victoria still jokes Max is a traitor and I stole her macaw. When you are chosen, the connection is often immediate and clear. We see it all the time with adopters and birds, we always say they know before we do when the right person walks in the room!

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
That is such a sweet story. Yep, birds do a lot of the choosing. That's why when it's clear that I'm not the chosen one...I move on.

Jazzy*

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
abbie
aww love rats my very fist rat was a albino female who was a feeder rat at a pet store. I was like 5 I think maybe 6 at the time, I too have had rats on and off over the years

Beanurita

Real Name
Melissa
Awe......love them but really :heart::heart::heart: TALI!!! I had rarities growing up and want my kids to have the same experience but hubby says "NO RODENTS!!!" SHM:blink::(

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I love Pia! :heart:

Every time we go past the ratties in the pet store, my wife just says "eww" and runs away...

animallover9

Walking the driveway
They are just adorable! Rats are some kind of addiction haha I have 5 because for some reason 2 wasn't enough :) but who can resist when you see a little hairless dumbo and blue dumbo babies :D

Happynme

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carmen
I like them...but im scared of being bitten. I know they dont see well and sometimes smell something on your hand and mistake it for food..and crunch. Or so ive been told anyways. So i just look at them and know id not be a good rat owner as id be to scared to touch it. Lol