• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Little Buddy

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Diet wise, anything you'd feed to cockatiels and budgies! So yes, pellets are ok! But they shouldn't take up more than 25-50% of their diet! Seeds are, IMO, still healthy for them! Better yet, feed sprouted seeds over dry!

I think bourkes are fantastic companions for the right people, but I hate to see them clipped. They don't really climb around much like other parrot species do, but rather rely more heavily on their wings. I kind of liken them to a mix between a flighty finch and a laid back cockatiel. :)

tastybeets

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Diet wise, anything you'd feed to cockatiels and budgies! So yes, pellets are ok! But they shouldn't take up more than 25-50% of their diet! Seeds are, IMO, still healthy for them! Better yet, feed sprouted seeds over dry!

I think bourkes are fantastic companions for the right people, but I hate to see them clipped. They don't really climb around much like other parrot species do, but rather rely more heavily on their wings. I kind of liken them to a mix between a flighty finch and a laid back cockatiel. :)

Sprouted seeds! Fantastic idea! I bet my other bubs will love them too. Thank you! I'm not pleased about him being clipped; however, it was done long before I found him. It'll be a while before they're grown out. For now he's at least able to jump from perch to perch.

Exciting side note, I found the perfect cage on Amazon, and I'm getting one for Einstein as well!
o/~ Moooovin' on up! o/~

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I know you didn't clip him, I just detest seeing them clipped! They're really fun to watch (and listen to) when they fly! :D

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He is so endearing - I love his little fluffy face!

caklock

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Christina
Bourkes like a varied diet. They typically do not eat fruit (no sweet tooth I guess) but love peas, kale, dandelion greens, purslane & broccoli. For seed, mix 1/4 finch seed with 3/4 budgie seed. They love a bit of scrambled egg now and then, and enjoy home made birdy bread. I usually clip a kale leaf or a piece of broccoli to the cage with fresh every day. Hope your little one is doing well!

caklock

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Christina
Oh, and millet or sunflower seeds (in the shell) for treats :)